Audi A4 650bhp Race Car.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by pascal77uk, Oct 13, 2009.

1. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

The Aero package is starting to take shape now. Plan is for a rear spoiler, front splitter and rear diffuser. As well as a few other bits to aid downforce. Things are still on the drawing board a bit, but taking shape well.

I popped down to see Tony at Touringcarspares yesterday and picked up a rear spoiler and possibly a genuine Audi STW front splitter.

This is the splitter, i need to do some testing fitting to make sure its what we think it is but things look good.

[​IMG]

The rear spolier is from an Dodge/Chrysler Super Touring Car and is in A1 condition.

[​IMG]

Here a a few pics after a clean up earlier today. Its a high downforce rear wing in carbon fibre. It weighs next to nothing and is superbly made

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

can you make a mould of the front splitter in case you damage it?

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

4. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

splitter/spoiler are both super sexy.. any plans to smooth out the underside/fit a diffuser?

also dont know if its relavent to o1e but was lookin into big power audi box upgrades and a guy called jim dinner who bolts 016's to buick engines. shows mod in gallery section (link)

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Great work on the STW chin spoiler.

6. Lauda New Member

great job done .. worth attention ..

good luck .. in the future ..

7. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

We were thinking about fitting this. But Due to the rear diff and drivershafts its not that easy. Also a lot of championships ban diffusers, which i didnt realise as well. So need to do some further research into this.

We are working with performance trim on some carbon items and yes the question will be asked.:thumbup: With the rear diffuser being one on them.

Also it depends on what front bumper we use. I have a lightweight fibreglass RS4 one waiting in the wings which will not fit the splitter but will allow me to use a larger 70mm intercooler core. So it all hinges on being able to Mod a S4 one to fit the intercooler and use the splitter.

8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

The chap had about 12 various splitters from all types of supertouring cars.:thumbup:

I have also been put in the direction of a Audi A4 STW which might be going cheap due to a ****ed engine. Things always turn up at the wrong time :lol:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the cars looking fantastic though

what are the next steps in the plan to get it completed?

10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers Matt.[:D]

Right this is a general progress update;)

Im waiting on my order from 034 Motorsport in the USA and still adding things to the list so the order is getting a bit delayed. It contains most of the chassis mounts engine mounts etc and im putting a load of engine parts on it now. So it is slowing things down a bit.

Im also waiting on orders from JH Motorsports

[​IMG]

and Bildon for these beauties

[​IMG]

While im waiting for that to arrive The box will be going to the powdercoaters to be blasted and covered in a nice colour. As well as the rear subframe which still has to come off the car. Just been waiting for some free time at the garage to use the ramp. But last week we had another 2 poster ramp installed so all good:thumbup:

The dash is going up to jolfa to be flocked, when i get my ass in gear and finish a few things on it.

Im still umming and ahhing about the ATL fuel tank. Not sure if Britcar is the way now what with the new Big BHP engine build going on. So thats up in the air a bit.

Rear brakes are being fabbed up at the moment 4 pot brembo rears and 336mm RS7 rear dics. All with custom brackets etc. We are ditching the handbrake in favor of a line lock system just for trailering it around etc.

I popped up to see Curtis who is the UK tech chief for AST Race Suspension Uk a few weeks ago and met the Dutch owner who happened to be there at the time. My suspension is being rebuilt into 3 way adjustables with new rods/pistons, seals/valves and remote cans. Even tho its brand new 0 miles.

It will also be going on a suspension bench dyno. Watch this space for a full feature on that one. Lots to lean there:thumbup:

Engine wise we have a few tricks up our sleeves. We will not be using the powersteering pump which runs off the engine. Instead we are using a electric polo one for a few reasons. Im trying to find a quick rack but this is proving hard. Also a few other things but that will posted in time. Dan is doing most of the engine build, with me helping and doing bits and bobs.

The heated windscreens will be delivered at the end of the month. Ive had to buy 2 to get them done. I found a company who is going into small runs. UROGLASSS

Ive sold the bucket seat i had, as a friend needed one for his track car and now have a full carbon one on order.

So there is still masses to do. Ive decided not to rush things now and just enjoy the build.

I spoke to a friend at the weeknd and he had some wise words in relation to builds.

'Sometimes its not always about the car that we build, but the journey we go on getting there'

I thought this was epic and never a truer word spoken.:thumbup:

Cheers Again:thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

On the engine Mike, Britcar is bhp, no question, but Time Attack is more insane.

Where do you think you'll use it at this stage?

Is the PAS rack not quick enough as it stands? Should be high 2-point something / low 3s?

12. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Britcar is power to weight, with the old engine it would have been perfect. But with this one we can go a bit further. I cant be bothered with time attack as its not on slicks. I raced on 888s in the VAG Trophy last year and to be honest i wouldnt choose a series than runs on these type of tyres. Racing is Slicks all the way, anything else is pants.

Plan is to make it into a full on GT Racer and see hows fast i can go in her. But i also fancy hillclimbing and taking it out to the ring at some point. Im more concerned about developing the car at the moment and will be dropping into a few series for the first year or 2. LMA is on the list as well as a return to the WSSCC where ive had some of the best racing of my career so far. Both these championships have 'open' classes.

Ive been keeping my eye on various regs so not to put myself out of anything.

The rack isnt bad but would prefer someting a little quicker. Im used to the on on the MK3.

13. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

some great work going on Mike, we're all wish you the best of luck along the journey :thumbup:

Let me know if your looking for a 9N polo, I should be able to lay myhands on one that is very likely to be ok ;)

14. jettadan Forum Member

Loving the build so far, can't wait to see it completed in the flesh.:thumbup:

Hmm, currently i feel like i left home without a map - i know where i want to go but have no idea how to get there. I have a feeling MY journey isn't going to be a smooth one....[:$]

15. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Cracking build :thumbup:

Any details/pics of that polo? [8D]

Al

16. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

And whats the fetish with blue?:lol:

This is looking like an awesome build though, No expenses spared by the looks of it. An amazing car at the end:clap:

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

This car reminds me more and more of Graham Vanstones Mk1 (possibly due to the colour) when that was built. Stunning finish and attention to detail, but gets 100% down to business. Cant wait to see more updates.

18. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers Chris, I will give you a shout on that one.

Mines been up and down with the problems getting the rollcage done. When i got the car back i had no energy with the project to crack on with it. Took a few weeks to get back into it. Im weeks behind now but going to enjoy it. If your journey was perfectly smooth you would feel like you havent achieved so much. Looks like your doing well to me.:thumbup::thumbup:

Its an electic sprint demo car has 210 ft/lb @1500rpm and a flat tourque curve and runs a Polo Tdi 5 speed gearbox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its just happened that way.

It might look like an expensive build but its on a tight budget. I could easily spend another 15K+ on it over the budget without breaking into too much of a sweat.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  19. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

heard a similar quote about getting drunk.. lost on me tho

also you reckon you should get a season or two out of a box between rebuilds.. how long you reckon for engine? is the dude in the vid also runnin standard crank? 650bhp is mighty impressive considoring displacement.. s4 engine must be hard as nails. gumpert didnt get any more out of the 4.2!

20. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

On race engines of this type rebuilds are about 60hrs. The chap in the Vid Doug @ MRC is running the engine with a 3.0 Diesel crank and larger 82.5mm pistons to increase displacment. But with standard heads to see how far they will go. As with most engines when built well they can deliver good power. If you think there are a few 1.8T's out there running north of 500bhp. So an extra 900cc and another turbo for an extra 100bhp is tame really. There are a few guys out there running 900bhp from the s4engines.