Audi S3 - any good?

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by coolasacucumber, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

and S3 engine :p

2. Admin Guest

Just what Google says, it also says the Mk4 can be up to 1380Kg, which is beliveable, but it depends on spec. I can't be bottomd to go outside and look on my car, but mine has the weight printed on the engine info plate.

3. coolasacucumber Forum Member

no :lol:

4. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

Well if you can believe what Parkers says then here are some weights...

Audi A3 (96-03)
    1.8T sport 3 door - 1145 kg
    1.8T sport 3 door quattro - 1305 kg
    S3 quattro - doesn't actually say on Parkers, but it's 1400 kg

VW Golf (97-04)
    1.8T 3 door - 1203 kg
    1.8T 5 door - 1238 kg
    1.8T anniversary - 1279 kg
    R32 5 door - 1512 kg

According to the manufacturer's sales brochure, an early spec 3 door mk2 golf gti 8v weighed in at 960 kg.

5. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

500 then??

then you can remap your s3 to keep up with my mk1 ;)

6. Jeff Forum Junkie

so roughly 40% more weight.

225bhp - 150bhp = 75bhp.
    75bhp is half of 150bhp - 50%.

so the s3 has 40% more weight, and 50% more power than a 150bhp mk2. mk1s are lighter, and who knows how much power a 16v in a mk1 is putting out, most people dont just put a standard 16v mk2 lump in there...

7. madmk4 Forum Member

Standard S3 makes about 170bhp ATW, with a 1500kg shell it's not rapid but still fast by all means.

Chipped ones can suffer badly from heatsoak on track.
    Speedo indicated top speed with an AMD chipped one is 160mph :)

They'll eat motorways all day long, more reliable, subtle looking and much smoother low down than the subaru/Mitsubishi offerings of the same year.
    Build qualitys fantastic !

As for trackday useage a very lightly modded mk2 16v would definatly irritate a standard one.
    Edited by: madmk4

8. Blown Forum Member

Well,owning both an S3 and a standard MK2 GTI 8v,I can tell you that if I were to put them side by side in a 1/4mile drag,there wouldn't be much in it up to around 50mph I'd say-them the S3 would probably slaughter the Golf.
    I reckon a tuned up MK2(or MK1 for that matter) would probably have the advantage over the S3 on take off and up around 80-100 depending on the level of tuning,but the S3 would then get it's arse in gear and head off to a higher top end speed.
    my tuppence worth.Ithanku. ;)

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

Personally from not owning or driving one, i'd rather have the S3 based on looks, features and subtle styling!

My bro's got a MK4 20vt, and the engine seems good, and to be honest i'd want the 4wd kick in system with over 200hp esp in the wet! Revo the S3, and i'm sure you'll be able to put the halidex system into use ;)

Keep us posted with what you purchase! [:D]

Guys, you can't compare a Mk1 Golf which is less than a 5th of the value of a 2nd hand S3! One's a classic car with little creature comfort and one's a moddern fully loaded car!

Its like people buying a 50-80K highly modded skyline and claiming its faster than a 800K Bugatti Veryon!
    Edited by: G-Man

10. cforehead Forum Member

[:[]... Not:

Interesting facts and figures and all but time and place for everything...

Fordo!:lol:

11. Admin Guest

my 1.1 mk1 over took a cayenne the other day, this has to be the fastest mk1 out there now? ;) :lol:

rolling along at 70 mph and i had him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and those cayennes must be faster than a audi, its porsche for god sake!

love an S3 myself, as folk have said, get one and get it remapped, loads of fun,

a decent mk1 GTI ( in 8v spec) will keep up/beat most things on the road, don't think just because its new and shiny it will win ;)

12. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

All this mk1 v s3 is due down to my original post. [:$]

All I said was I kept up with it to 110, I have never said my car is better etc.

If money allowed an S3 would be my pick, however my argument was they're not the quickest car in the world. Refined, yes.

good luck anyway with finding one coolasacucumber. I still reckon your mk1 would be a better car, and cheaper!!

13. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Ok, the S3 is a lovely car but does cry out for more power. Its just sooooo heavy.
    Oh yea, a mk1 16v (say 170bhp) will easily keep with a standard S3 anything up to 110mph. In my experience, they dont normally catch up let alone pass until after this speed.
    Yes, the audi is better built, comfortable, quiter, smoother etc, etc but is cramped and overpriced in my opinion. I'd spend the money on a Seat Leon Cupra R to be honest. Same engine, lighter, quicker and handles better! (Yes it does!) But hey, what do I know, i drive a mk1.

14. coolasacucumber Forum Member

Again some very useful comments, thank you.

I didnt expect this to get to 3 pages long - but cheers!

I have considered a Cupra R 225 - but with Seat just slashing new prices, residuals don't look as good as the S3.

Plus looks wise, in my opinion, the Cupra just doesn't look as good, even if there was a 3 door version, I think I would still prefer audi.

Then there is build quality, I have been driving French cars as my daily drivers nearly all my driving life, so I want a bit of refinement!

Yes keeping the Mk1 would be cheaper and probably more fun, theres no way it would stand up to the mileage that I am doing, and I can only have 1 car due to my new driveway commitments.

My house is on the market now, so as soon as it sells I will be investing!

(unless someone uses an argument that convinces me otherwise...) :lol:
    Edited by: coolasacucumber

15. coolasacucumber Forum Member

Right then - test drive sorted for 4 this afternoon at Stafford Audi!

I'll report back later with my findings...

It's a 2001 model in black with the full black leather Recaros, only the 210bhp model, but I've read on quite a few occasions that they regularly hit 217/8 as standard, so there isnt a lot of difference noticable, hmm, i'll have to see!

16. Admin Guest

nice car!

[:D]

though i should tell you to finish that mk1 ;)

17. coolasacucumber Forum Member

its for sale [8(]

[:^(]

18. prof Forum Addict

my mate had the 1.8T a3 sport, and it had exactly the same performance as my mk2 16v with 150bhp, well on twisty roads anyway, it'd have been faster in a straight line i guess, but in 90% of driving it was just well sorted mk2 territory

however the a3 was loads nicer to live with. mk4 TDI would have had it I reckon

19. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

what happened at stafford audi dude? andhow much?

20. 45rugdub Forum Member

I love these mk1 golf will keep with anything threads like so many turn into. Any way a mate of mine has owned a 210bhp S3 for about 2 years now and I have driven it many times. It is a lovely comfortable quick safe car, but thats it down fall you have to push it so hard to make it fun to drive. Most of my mates have owned VWs and one had a mk1 with a 16v engine in it and I also drove this many times and to be fair it would beat an S3 another mate and a G40 this would also sit on the back of the S3. He also never got away form my mk2 16v. So I think on the whole the S3 is not as fast as it should have been but are very nice if you have miles to cover, saying that so are Volvos. If you want a fast 4wd dont buy the S3. If you want a car thats comfortable and a bit different buy one but you could get a much better car for the money.