Audi Symphony `Error 1`

Discussion in 'ICE' started by VeedubyaGTi, Jul 28, 2006.

1. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member

My wife has just bought a superb 2002 Audi A2 1.4 petrol(met black, red leather)with the optional Symphony audio installed, very happy with the car indeed...however, the HU will not play any CD`s, just showing an `error 1`on the display The dealer(not VAG) has been told about the problem, and will reimburse us the cost of repair. Before I book it in somewhere, has anyone got any ideas on this, or is there a reset or similar? Thanks in advance!

2. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

Hmm from a quick google it looks like error 1 could be a general 'catch all' code.

Some possibles are heat, dirty CD's or possibly
    Other then that I can't help sorry

3. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member

May try a CD lens cleaner, see if that does anything. I`ve tried a few CD`s, genuine, and CDr`s (all clean) may try a few more. Cheers:)

4. sixpot Forum Member

Getting the car VAG COMmed by somebody will test the stereo and show up any detected faults.

5. bula_82 Forum Junkie

I've a W-reg 1.8T Sport and it does the same thing....(well, randomly gives me all errors! [:s] )

ERR1 - CD dirty or incorrectly inserted

ERR2 - CD scratched

ERR3 - fault in CD changer mechanism

Mine is a milti-changer so you wont ever see ERR3 but I would have thought ERR1 and 2 are the same :)

Ive tried cleaning mine and it makes no difference so i'm currently listening to the radio / tapes till it goes back to the garage for other things when it will hopefully get looked at. [:v:] [:|]

6. Trickygti New Member

I work for an Audi dealership and it usually means the the laser has given up inside the heads unit, the only real way of curing the problem is to get the HU reconned somewhere or to order a new unit from Audi (not cheap)

Hope this helps

7. bula_82 Forum Junkie

I forgot about this thread.....

Do you roughly know how much it'd be to replace it?

Mine went back tot he garage I got it from for a few things and he has sent it away to be looked at (the multichanger) Told me reckons it'll be about 50 to get it sorted, not sure I believe or trust him but I want my CD's back so I let him send it [:s]

8. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member

Righto, tried the cleaning CD, I could`nt believe it actually played the "Thank you for buying the Philips cleaning disc" palava on it!....but alas it did`nt work as well as I hoped it would, as it refused to play anything else[:x] This is a 6 disc multi-changer too, asked about a price at an Audi stealer for a recon unit, 400 they said!!![8-}]...so that`s out of the question. The wife phoned the other day and said that it had played a few tracks and stopped again. As suggested, I really think the laser it goosed, going to pop it down to a car radio shop at the weekend, they reckon if it is the laser it`ll be 80. Post back next week with the results:)

9. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member

Car radio place has said the laser is whacked, but can`t get spares for these models, and I`d have to sent it back to Audi, but as previously said, I don`t think they`d repair it, just want me to do an exchange for a recon for 400, yeah right...just great[:x] Looks like it`s one of three options, either a new double din unit(cheapest I`ve seen is a Kenwood for 199) or get a Symphony on ebay, or get an adapter plate, and get a `normal` sized unit. Can`t believe you can`t get lasers for these units, thought they`d be a pretty generic part[:[]