Audi Tiptronic Gearbox

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by jonk710, Jan 8, 2010.

1. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

Folks,

Looking to buy an A6 1.9 Tdi Avant when a decent one comes up.

There are a few to choose from - mostly with a tiptronic gearbox's

I've never owned or driven an automatic but have heard the tiptronic box's are really good.

Does anyone have any experiences with the tiptronic box's that they could share please?

What to look out for, good, bad, reliable, bag of nails? or stick with a manual?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jettadan Forum Member

Had a mate with a Vreg Passat V6 TDi with the tiptronic gearbox and it was awesome. We cruised across Europe in it - nice and relaxed and then a quick slip sideways of the lever and it was like a sequential box.

However, he had an extended warranty so when it broke it got fixed for fee, otherwise it would have cost him a fortune. Forgot what went wrong, but the car had done over 150k miles.

I'd love my next car to have one, just frightened about the cost if something went wrong.

3. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

the boxes start to fail at 100,000 miles so avoid high mileage ones

4. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

That's a pity, 90% of the cars for sale are well into 100k +.

I also heard that an oil change in the box's or some kind of service at 40k is essential. I'll check the service records when going to view potential cars.

5. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Id steer well clear of them to much hassle when they go wrong.

On their own merrits they are great as a gearbox and fun to use. But a heap of trouble in high milage or performance cars. Go manual, saves getting a bill.

6. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

Avoided them.
    Took ownership of an A6 Final Edition Avant at the weekend with a manual box - lovely..:)

7. benovr6 New Member

tips are very good but can have problems especially if they haven't had oil changes at 40k and every 40k after that,main probs are juddering on pulling away,this can require new gearbox ecus (expensive) also make sure they,ve had the clutch pack update and software update, good idea to get a good warrenty