Audi TT buying tips

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by G60KG, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Admin Guest

Nice.cars would happily have one

2. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

I've got a 225bhp Quattro, great car but the missus don't like it cause visibility is poor, I personally don't have an issue with it ;)

Great fun in the snow...hehehe

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

do you have any over revving issues when changing gear?

4. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

No not that I've ever noticed, do you have VAGCOM? If so may well be worth plugging it in to see if any codes are being thrown up. I am a member of TT-forum.co.uk and I find those guys really helpful if I ever have any questions....there is a guy on there with the user ID of Wak who has his own website with really useful stuff and he is very approachable.

Tim

5. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Amulet red :(
    Watch the laquer peel, cos Audi won't give a feck if it peels and will palm you right off, I found out the hard way, and so have others on the TT forum.

As for theover revving. Yes it's common, andnot a fault. It's down to the over heavy running gear and flywheel.

Waks pages are spot onfor advice, a big help.

6. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

I can be honest and say I've never really noticed the over revving Mart....must just be use to it...lol

7. Hotgolf

It happens all the time when revving high and dipping the clutch. Pain in the **** tbh. Just gottalearn to come off the revs quicker. For 225bhp, they are very lathargic. Definalty needs to be chipped.

8. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

I agree with that....keep meaning to stick a new MAF on mine as logs show it is reading on the low side, can't see it making a huge difference though to be honest......as we discussed when I saw you last!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  9. Hotgolf

I found mine wouldn't pull to 6k, it was really sluggish. New MAF and it'll puill hard to 6k now, but not a massive difference in overall power. But worth the 80.

10. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

great cars for the money, but best for smaller people.
    I used to drive my mates 225 a lot and his suffered the over-revving, it never felt that fast, visibility was poor which made it hard to drive for me and it felt unresponsive in the corners, would still have one though.
    10 years on and they still look good, inside and out.

11. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Where did you get your new MAF from for that price Mart? Is it a genuine Bosch one?

12. Hotgolf

Genuine VAG mate, they do an exchange too. See if you get a discount at your local VAG dealer.

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

how can anyone put up with the over revving nonsense? Ive got a heavy right foot and naturally floor the pedal when I drive. This (not a fault) revving issue has totally put me off driving the car. I did a throttle reset on it today using Wak's website and vagcom. Read somewhere that it could be a faulty clutch pedal switch but I guess that wont be the issue if they are like that out of the box. Im just glad we didnt spend a lot of money (relatively speaking) on the car and that my wife loves it. I really wanted a Lupo GTI but that suggestion didnt go very far.

14. Hotgolf

Honestly, you get used to changing gear differently, as odd as it sounds! although it can still catch you out hearing the engine speed go up before changing.
    Not overly sure why it does it, my mk4 with 02M never did so why these do is a mystery.
    They do drive nice on a long run, although have a go jumping in the back. A complete no-go lol

15. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

My sis has got a 225bhp one and to be honest, I think it's quite a dull drive. And when sitting in it you feel more like your sitting on it. Nice looks and interior but not my cuppa tbh. Good job your mrs likes it though. The mk5 feels much more rewarding even though it's slower.

And before you ask, not noticed any over revving.

Gurds

16. Hotgolf

Seems it could be 'throttle flare' costing between 9 and 40 quid. It's a sensor behind the clutch pedal from what I can gather.

17. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

The only error it threw up when tested on vagcom before buying was some lateral sensor causing the traction light to come on occasionally. No other errors came up on the engine side of things so I will do a full scan on it and see if anything comes up.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  18. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Over-revving nonsense cured

Well I have cured the revving issue which caused the revs to spike up by around 1000 rpm when dipping the clutch (after releasing the gas pedal) this also caused the car to bog down once back on the throttle and took a bit of time for the 'go' to kick in. I removed the lower dah and found a shoddy old clutch switch held together with glue and cable ties. Replaced it with a new genuine switch and the problem is solved completely and the car is now quite scary when floored. There were no errors in vagcom to indicate there was a problem with the clutch pedal switch so if your TT has a reving issue as I described then I would spend 14 on a new genuine switch as it could be the cause.

19. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Glad you found the problem, this'll be the first thing I check if mine ever develops this issue :thumbup: