Aum 1.8t issues

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by A16vnutter, Dec 7, 2012.

1. A16vnutter Forum Member

Right ive finally gone and bought myself a new car after driving around in mk2's for the last 13 or so years!!
    so i decided to buy mysel a mk4 gti turbo but it has a couple of issues. ive had a free health check and even blagged a free diagnostic scan!!
    it has brought up a few faults as the emiisions light is on. the car seems to drive fine and ticks over nicely. what the report said was EML light on -sporadic faults for malfunction in cooling system,connection to charger throttle valve and both heated wing mirrors and interior monitoring need investigating?
    i would of let them invwesstigate at the stealers but its 102 an hour just to look and im not paying that cos its a bloody rip off!!

if anyone could shed any light on it i would really appreciate it many thanks!

also vw wouldnt let me have the fault codes either? suppose if i had payed i could of demanded them??

forgot to mention the temp needle moves up n down on its own but not all the time?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I've got a mk4 AUM, which I've owned for the last 3 years.

My Emission light come on when the coiloacks went. Maybe they have been changed in the past and the light hasn't been turned off ?

You can reset it by taking the battery off for 15mins or so.

I'd also check all the vacuum hoses, especially the ones underneath the inlet manifold and the y shaped breather on the cam cover. All worth checking as these tend to perish over time.

Does the car drive smoothly ? What mpg are you achieving on a run ?

:)

3. A16vnutter Forum Member

the car drives smoothly as far as im aware and it seems to be returning fairly good mpg but ive only driven it about 20 miles since getting the car!
    also what fuel wouldpeople recommend as the owners manual states that higher octane fuel will not increase power!
    ill disconnect the battery tomorrow and see how long the light stays out?

4. A16vnutter Forum Member

i do have a feeling that the dump valve may be playing up as the boost is so flat! my mk2 abf is like a starship in comparison for speeds

5. turbotommy Forum Member

As Richard says,chech ALL vac & boost pipes for leaks,it really is the most common problem for bad/poor running on these engines.
    Also,forget VAG garages for fault code finding etc.. get your self one of these and do it all your self (piece of pi$$ to use)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160864560518?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

It will pay for its self in a month.
    Put it this way,measure/look at the G/S in any measuring block and it will tell you if your MAF is good or bad or if you have a boost leak etc.. it will also tell you that your temp sender or thremostat is broken (as its one of the 2,probs the sender) as it will tell you the digital temp reading to the ECU.
    Any questions with it,feel free to ask me for one :-)
    Tommy.

6. A16vnutter Forum Member

thanks Tommy.
    the maf has been replaced and ill look into the code reader! ive got a garage next to me at work taking a looking at it next week as the mechanic is ex Seat.
    ive been pouring over threads on various sites and another thing that seems to crop up is the jet suction pump failing? does the AUM have one fitted

7. turbotommy Forum Member

It doesn't have a jet suction pump as such,(BAM does) but its all part of the crack case breather system which again is the old Boost/VAC leak problem.
    The code reader above gives you the fault code & the the written fault,telling you EXACTLY what the problem is or could be mind,the cheaper ones just give you a code and a book to decipher it.
    Muchos help here if you need it but its better when you have more info,if you get what I mean.

8. A16vnutter Forum Member

ill get the codes next week at some point once its booked in and ill post them up!

also are the bosch standard dump valves prone to failure?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  9. Richard Mk2

If they are old they do. Mine was giving me problems so i put a Forge 007 on there.

10. A16vnutter Forum Member

i have no idea how old it is rich the car has done 78000 and it doesnt look like its ever been changed and all the paper work i have theres no sign of it being changed!
    so i ordered aforge 007 in black last night. Need to look up silicon hose kits now
    could you tell me what it was like before and after fitting the 007 on your car?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  11. Richard Mk2

Good purchase. :thumbup:

What hoses were you thinking of changing to silicone then ?

12. A16vnutter Forum Member

i have no idea how old it is rich the car has done 78000 and it doesnt look like its ever been changed and all the paper work i have theres no sign of it being changed!
    so i ordered aforge 007 in black last night. Need to look up silicon hose kits now!!

also rich what was your car like before and after you fitted the 007?

13. Richard Mk2

I changed mine just after having the remap done. It definitely holds the boost better! :thumbup:

14. Richard Mk2

I changed mine just after having the remap done. It definitely holds the boost better! :thumbup:

15. A16vnutter Forum Member

i was thinking as many hoses in the engine bay as possible? Im going to go with black hoses to keep the oem look but with the added strength and reliability!
    Plan is too get it mapped early next year.
    May have to sell the mk2 to fund all of this!!!!!!! undecided yet :(

16. Richard Mk2

I'd personally go for a Custom - Code map. Thats what ive got on mine, and it totally transformed the car !

This company sells them cheap -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-S...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item231bf5a8f2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-M...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2321aef618

Cheap to :thumbup:

17. A16vnutter Forum Member

Are those the hoses you have fitted to your car rich?

18. A16vnutter Forum Member

@ turbo tommy I've ordered that code reader as well but it's almost 2 weeks delivery so ill still get it in the garage!

19. Richard Mk2

I haven't fitted them mate, my MK4 is totally standard apart from the 007p and the remap.

I have heard good things about those pipes though, and they are the cheapest around.

:thumbup:

20. A16vnutter Forum Member

ill phone the guys up at creations motorsport who sell them and found out more about them! and see if i can blag discount cos i want all the pipes they do for the AUM!!