Auto dimming mirrors faulty

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Rayhoop, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

I realised this weekend that the auto dimming mirrors are not working properly in my Mk5 Ed30. They were working fine earlier, but it has been a while since I've had to drive in the dark.

Side view mirrors no longer appear to dim at all, whilst the rear view mirror dims intermittantly (if you tap the mirror unit a few times).

Has anyone had a similar experience and know of possible resolutions?

I've found the vwvortex thread on retro-fitting auto dimming mirrors, so have an idea how to strip it down, just wondering if anyone has any additional pointers.

2. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

On my ED30 it's only the interiour mirror that dims(check the warning light is on) door mirrors have never dimmed.

3. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Optional (read expensive) extra to have the auto dimming door mirrors.

Maybe a coding issue? You can code them in and out with the long coding in Central Convenience.

4. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers guys. To be honest I was having trouble remembering whether the side views dimmed (silly I know). The rear view definitely worked before.

The trouble started after I found it had been switched off. I switched it on but other than the light coming on, the mirror didnt dim.

The next eve, the mirror was only dimming if I gave it a few taps...

Now it seems to work fine.

Hmm, think I'll leave it as is for now. Looks like it could be a dodgy connection somewhere.

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

It's points to more problems if the rear view and the wing mirrors have gone, you would need to check the fault codes. My brothers drivers wing mirror is currently showing a code as the heated element has broken so I'm sure it would show up and issue like yours.
    To check if you have auto dimming wing mirrors, if you look closely at the glass there would be a faint outline around the outside of the glass