Autocavan pedal box, where can I get one?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Neil_Ireland, May 12, 2011.

1. motha Forum Member

Just out of interest.

Hows all this coming along?

Very interested in one of these pedal boxes with standard cable clutch & group buy if its going ahead.

Although, as I'm in Australia, I'm unable to supply a pedal box core sorry.

2. Admin Guest

i have a spare one, though its from an automatic so no clutch pedal fitted, although the mounting points are there, you would just need said pedal and a bit of 17mm tube welded in place for it.

3. mickey marrows Forum Member

The guys can convert auto pedal boxes to manual for a small charge, they've already made a jig to do it.

4. Admin Guest

there you go then, always one step ahead:thumbup:

5. mickey marrows Forum Member

Not sure how I go about setting up a group buy, but if we can get 10 buyers the prices should be approx 250 for brakes and 280 for brakes and clutch. (subject to confirmation)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  6. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

How much extra effort is required with braking with one of these fitted?. Im building a 16VG60 mk1 golf and am considering fitting a pedal box. Id also like a hydraulic clutch too so it sems to make sense so far. Im just a bit concerned about the braking force required from what i have read here. Can anyone comment?.

7. mickey marrows Forum Member

Personally I don't have a problem, one of the biggest issues is the amount of pedal boxes that are setup wrong with MC's that are far too big which causes a very hard pedal. If you've grown up with modern over servo'd cars then it seems like a lot of effort.. but its the amount of feel and control you get... how people left foot brake or toe and heel with a servo'd car I'll never know.. :)

8. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

You need quite a bit more leg effort.
    I think that the most notable thing is that you get use to "lazy" braking with a servo, so light pressure results in a fair amount of braking force.
    With the servo gone, you just need to push harder - I watched mine at the MOT the other week and it achieved the same overall braking force, in fact it still managed to cause it to jump out of the rollers !

But yes, if you go down this route then be prepared at first to feel like it is not going to stop, increase your leg pressure at it will stop just as well.

I might invest in a 280mm setup in the winter, which is the largest you can go under 15" wheels...

9. lewp91 Forum Member

ooo.. how much?

10. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

I take it these are Mk2 Scirocco compatable too.. (Are they actually the same part as Mk1's?) If so i'd sign up to a group buy..

11. mickey marrows Forum Member

I went to see them last night and we worked out the price, unfortuantly its on a piece of paper in the back pocket of my jeans at home.. but I think my prices above aren't a mile off..

12. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Hi Mickey,

Is that price inclusive of master cylinders?

Cheers,

Tim

13. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

That would be nice wouldn't it Mickey !!

Expect to pay anywhere between 70 and 120 per master cylinder depending on make...

14. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Can anyone see any problem with me fitting one of these pedal boxes in my mk1 golf and only using it for a hydraulic clutch and retain the brake servo and master cylinder for now?.

15. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Ade,

The reason I asked is that the Compbrake item (which is ****) comes with a choice of master cylinders and is 139 + inc them!![:s]

Tim

16. mickey marrows Forum Member

Compbrake do not make a pedal box that is even remotely like this one so that is an unfair comparison.

17. mickey marrows Forum Member

Yes :).. it won't fit. The brake pedal is heavily modified for the bias setup so therefore could not be used. Sorry.

18. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

I am afraid you don't get something for nothing, especially with short run specials.
    The box I had off Mickey is superb.
    I decided to use AP racing master cylinders, I knew they would be top notch and not let me down.

19. mickey marrows Forum Member

Compbrake still sells master cylinders for 18.99 each.. for people wanted to save as much as possible on the biggest safety critical part on thier car ;)

20. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Point taken [:$]

BTW I wasn't saying the Compbrake part was even vaguely comparible...hence the **** (substitute the strongest four letter word you can) so was not a comparison other than the fact that I was wondering how they could sell them for less than the cost of 2 x master cylinders ;)