Automatic gearbox fluid changes.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Tuff Schmitt, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

Are they absolutely necessary and, also, is there a special way of doing it (I've heard that you have to do it in a near dust-free environment).

Cheers.

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It's a good idea, just like changing the manual box oil is (which is also meant to be "lifetime", so why provide a drain plug? [:s] ).
    Don't need to have a dust-free environment, just drop the pan to dump the oil, then dump in the cheapest stuff you can find for a few days. That'll dilute the old oil which stays in the box when you drain it. Then repeat with decent oil. If the old oil is anything other than red, you have problems......
    Actually, if you're driving an automatic, you have problems anyway...... :lol:

3. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

I lost an arm remember! :lol: ;)

Thanks, I will see about changing it soon. Think the car has done 118k miles without ever seeing a fluid change.
    Seems to 'jerk' into 4th (final gear) when you aren't accelerating hard, which is annoying.
    Presumably because the fluid is old, and as black as tar...

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It might be the fluid, or it might be something else - first step is always a fluid change. Seeing as you've been driving it - presumnably in your normal fashion - , the fluid will probably be brown and smell "burnt".....

5. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

wouldn't it be easier to drive an automatic if you loose a leg? [:D] coz that could be arranged [:D]

6. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

Okey-dokey. Fluid change it is!
    Let's hope it's not the box. I know for a fact they are 6k for a replacement (based on an owners review I read on an A6]!:o
    I'm sure after a month the car will be nearing retirement, anyway. Or at least the tyres will be...

7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I have heard of problems on some boxes, changing the whole lot together, been told to drop little at time, then replace, run then drop some more, more like flushing than changing [:s]

Any light on that? I have emptied the whole lot & put new in, with no problems [:D]

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

You never get it all out - about a third normally stays in the torque converter anyway......