Aux Air Valve

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Will-I-Am, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Will-I-Am New Member

Hi All

Have a KR 16v that ive bought, but it seems to have been played around with quite a lot by previous owners!! I have now ascertained that the block & bottom end is ABF, which could be the cause of my issues!! Its running KJet, and I like the simplicity of the system and kinda want to keep it, it runs well when warm, cold starting and running is the issue though.

Now ive done a bit of homework, and the warm up systems seem to rely on electrically aided bi metallic springs, one to change the fuel pressure to enriched the mixture (Warm Up Valve) and one to supply more air to raise the idle when cold (Aux Air Valve).

Now the car starts on the button, so I have ruled out the WUR, it then just wont tick over, so my attention turned to the AAV, or what I thought was the AAV, what I have in my throttle bypass airline is a solenoid that opens a valve when 12v is applied, and shuts it when off, surely this is the opposite way round to how a Kjet AAV should work right?

Has some monkey who doesnt know what they are doing put a Digifant ICV in instead of an AAV? or am I wrong in my thinking?

As a bit of a bodge to get it working i rigged up a switch to this valve, so I can open it up when cold to let the engine idle faster, I did have to restrict the size of the bypass pipe to bring the idle speed down to something half sensible though! was 'ticking over' at 3 grand before I jammed a bit of fuel pip in the line a s a restrictor!

Would sooner it worked properly though, all advice greatly appreciated!

Will

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

So, the car should have an Idle Stabiliser Valve high up on the gearbox end of the head as well.
    Have you checked that and tried cleaning it out?

All the AAV needs is 12v when the ignition is on. They're not all that complicated.

ABF conversion is a big bonus, and should run fine on KJet.

Have you checked the basics like timing and mixture?

3. Will-I-Am New Member

Ahh I see, so the thing that I am thinking is the AAV is actually the ISV, mounted to the gearbox end of the head? As far as I can see though this is the only valve in the throttle bypass system, so I dont seem to have an AAV??

Wouldnt an ISV need an ECU to work properly though? to provide a variable pitch square wave signal to give the variable airflow? which is what lead me to think that someone has fitted a Digifant ecu controlled ISV/ICV by mistake? I have taken the valve off & cleaned it with carb cleaner and still nothing, how is it meant to work? The wiring loom has been hacked about like you wouldnt believe so I wouldnt be sure that the right power was going to the valve!

Thought the ABF bottom end was a bonus, makes it a 2.0 right? Have ruled out timing & mixture as it goes like a train when its warm !! :-) so kinda didnt want to mess that up! Might just put a strobe on it though, one more thing ruled out I suppose

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

'Goes like a train' is a bit subjective really. It could still be running on the lean side and having detonation problems at the top end.

The ISV should buzz when the ignition is on. If you put your hand on it you should feel it vibrate. If you've given it a hard 12v feed then it won't work properly - it needs an oscillating feed controlled by the box behind the centre console.

Pics would be good. The 16v Kjet ISV is similar but different to the 8v digifant one, and might have been swapped over.

5. Will-I-Am New Member

That makes sense, the wiring to the ISV has been butchered, so I guess its not getting the 'buzz' feed from the control box, this could be the source of my woes! Nothing buzzes when I turn the ignition on, you may have solved my problem! Will have a dig around this weekend.

Thanks for your help, just the diff whine on overrun to sort out now, but I think thats going to be a bit more expensive!

Pic of engine bay below, not great for seeing the ISV but its the only one ive got here, it does look like a digi ICV, but if they look the same then this is probably the right one, and my fault is electrical rather than mechanical.

[​IMG]