B.O.V. whats the worst thing

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by GTIracer16, Jan 9, 2004.

1. GTIracer16 New Member

Hey guys this is great forum. I'm sure this question is asked freqently. When I get my GTI 1.8t and i decide to get the blow off valve.Am I going to see problems right away or is it a long period of time that it will take effect on anything on my motor. I keep reading on B.O.V. and it is saying what is does but not saying the bad about it. I read where someone said it says were it blows off it lose's all the air from the intake. and no air to the intake means the motor would die I would think. If anyone can give me some information on the Blow off valve that would be great.
    Edited by: GTIracer16

2. ausgolfer Forum Member

When a turbo motor is coming on boost, and then you back off and the throttle is closed there is way too much air still coming from the turbo that has nowhere to go. So the B.O.V vents this air, this makes the motor act like a naturally aspirated motor(ie no boost, but still sucks air) while the BOV is venting during back off untill you open the throttle again. Otherwise this excess air would push past the throttle which would resist the motor from slowing down. As soon as you open the throttle again the BOV stops venting. Hope this helps you. And what are the problems you talk of associated with BOV's?

3. GTIracer16 New Member

well it is hard i have talked to so many people saying it is good but then so many that say it's bad. sorry that does make alot of sence but just a plain yes or no answer could solve this problem. will it ruin my my motor and i kinda see what ur talking about but is the blow off valve going to just release the excess pressure.or is it leaving it without enough air to kill or even blow the engine up?

4. ausgolfer Forum Member

Either way you choose to go is not really gonna do serious damage. I "think"(not 100%) all factory turbo motors come with BOV's which are generally underrated in performance for BOV's. Anyway the reason factory ones(BOVs) are good is that they have nice recirculation systems which vent the excess air to the sucking side of the turbo(ie after the filter) which stops crap from getting in the BOV and stopping it from working well, and also could have a small efect on bringing boost back on sooner. It's the rage to have the loudest ones venting to nowhere but I've heard of them buggering up and getting crap caught in them an then letting crap into the engine but proper set-up would fix this. Don't worry about ur engine getting enough air when the BOV is venting it'll be fine really(it won't blow up your motor). If it was my turbo motor I'd either stick with the factory BOV recirculation type or upgrade to a aftermarket recirulation type. Good luck mate.

5. GTIracer16 New Member

Hey thanks i think you are right with the factory blow off valve but since this is going to be my first unexpensive bolt on i am going for the "louder" to make me noticed when i take off. heh or even to scare someone with the blow off noise.

6. Saul Forum Member

it'll prolly:

A) stall

b) throw up a fault code

some people run them and say they are fine for 6 months and then they go t*ts up?

your choice mate, but id stick with a re-circ one (Forge 007/006)

:)

7. AMY

Amy Forum Member

If you use a bov as opposed to a re-circ with an oe ecu it goes into 'safe mode' when it detects the loss of air and will not run over 3000rpm it will not damage the engine it just wont run higher than 3000rpm.

This does NOT happen to them all though and people in the states do not seem to have too many problems.

We are running a bov on our corrado but we do not run oe engine management. hth :)
    Edited by: 20vee_t

8. ausgolfer Forum Member

20vee_t: Wow I never knew the VW OE ECU had a "safe mode" thing when it detects loss of air. You learn somthing new everyday. ;)Maybe?? there is some kind of kit on the market to overcome this problem for people like GTiRacer who want to scare the pants of people when he changes gear :lol: :lol: while not having to go to the expense of changing the ECU for an aftermarket one.

9. flusted Forum Member

Ive fitted a atmospheric bov to a 20vt with no probs wot so ever.the standard bov weakens and looses boost so uprate with wotever 1 you fancy ;)

10. ChicagoGTI New Member

I got a Turbo XS Diverter Valve.. well on order... anyone using this???

it re-circulates that air..but gives a swoosh sound.. so it says.. i just need reviews on this..

11. dazzer-b New Member

i have read on the net that you can get problems with an atmospheric dump valve, something to do with the air flow meter they said. i have been after one for a while. i managed to order one the other day from bailey called a DV26. the bloke on the phone said that this would work on the 1998 model which is what i have got because it has a throttle cable. the later models dont apparently and cant have one fitted.

dont know if this is true i will let you know how i get on with mine.

dazzer-b
    Edited by: dazzer-b

12. ChicagoGTI New Member

Now I have a Atmosphere BOV... how can it mess up the meter when the driverter re-circulates after the meter?? So far it's running fine.. no stall... I still haven't gotten my Turbo XS driverter yet??? what the hell is taken so long??? Maybe on the eariler models i guess..??

13. Rallye Forum Junkie

diverted ait is accounted for by the meter. U loose air from the system with a atmos dump, therefore you end up running rich.