B247 DUK - 1985 5 door 8v GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by lima the rest, Feb 19, 2024.

1. lima the rest Paid Member Paid Member

Hello and good evening!

I've been a long time lurker, and have wanted a Mk2 for a long time. I currently live in Modena, Italy where I work as a engine development engineer, but I've been planning to move back to the UK within the next few months.

I sent the facebook marketplace listing of this car to a good friend from Formula Student university days in Scotland, after all what better way of staying in touch with old friends is there than sending links to tat online... He responded by saying he was sourcing a trailer and driving down to Kendal to collect it for me. Hence, as of yesterday around 10am, I am (finally) the owner of a Mk2 Golf. He also owns a Mk2, a black VR6 converted Driver that needs a little work.

The seller said he hadn't used the car for some months, but it ran, interior was in decent condition, and it wasn't rusty when he left it up. It apparently had some new ignition parts fitted, new brakes and a new clutch. It was sitting on steels and slammed Vogtland coilovers, and looked a little sorry for itself but he wasn't asking for crazy money, and a quick MOT history check didn't show any huge warnings of corrosion.

Unfortunately after sitting for some time it didnt want to start when my pal arrived, and the interior had begun to go mouldy. There was some rust on the sills near the jacking points, but it doesn't seem to be too awful. After some bartering on the phone, I essentially bought the car blind minus some whatsapp photos and my pals evaluation. He then proceeded to construct a set of ramps out of scaffold boards and got her loaded up without a winch. I owe him a few days work when I get back, doing up his workshop. Once the insulation is in he said I can leave her inside to dry out, and begin trying to get her road ready.

Probably won't be many updates for the time being until I move up to Edinburgh in April, but I thought I'd start this thread anyway, and announce my presence.

I saw one photo of this car (when it had seen better days), and wondered if it used to belong to anyone here

https://ibb.co/HBgy3Qr
    https://ibb.co/Czx7ppC
    https://ibb.co/GkrdvL3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cressa likes this.
  2. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Good find, hope it's not too rotten! I could only see the first three photos but looks to be fairly complete. Buying a car blind can be fun haha!

Got to be worth saving an early car, looking forward to updates :)

3. lima the rest Paid Member Paid Member

I had issues embedding the photos directly using the image tool, so I editted the post and added the links afterwards.
    I thought the same, there don't seem to be many early 5 doors about!

4. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Welcome to the forum. Best of luck with the restoration.

lima the rest likes this.
  5. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello & Welcome

lima the rest likes this.
  6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Well saved . I have an 86 white 5 Dr that I bought blind, but yours looks better. Let us know when you get to the car and see it in the flesh.

7. slateford Forum Member

Welcome to Edinburgh.

8. lima the rest Paid Member Paid Member

I read your whole build thread yesterday actually. quite the adventure you've been on.. I have to say your K-Jet woes put the fear of god into me.
    Hope yours is up and running soon!

Cheers! Would love to see your G60 some time when i get settled

9. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Is there a story behind J. Backhouse and N. Finlayson?

APMJ6517.jpg

OGDQ9547.jpg

QONF4655.jpg

10. lima the rest Paid Member Paid Member

J.Backhouse is the lad I bought it off, he has owned it since 2018 and it has only done about 250 miles in that time.. I get the feeling it might have been bought with a plan in mind, things changed and he needed rid of it.. but that is just a guess