Bad Starting Golf Mk3 8v AGG

Discussion in '8-valve' started by DaveS, Aug 28, 2018.

1. DaveS New Member

Hey Folks,

when im starting my "96 Golf Mk3 2.0 AGG 8V to drive to work in the morning, it has a habit of not starting for a couple of tries.

i turn the key, the starter does its thing. i hear ignition/engine running for maybe not even a second, then it dies. after turning the key about 8 times it finally runs.

if it then runs, theres absolutely nothing wrong, no hickups or anything. i can rev/do what i want. runs perfect.

if it finally starts after all those tries and you walk to the back of the car, you smell gasoline. so thats working.

what strikes me is that it happens mostly on dewy/moist/cold mornings. in the summer when its dry and hot out it doesnt/almost doesnt happen.

is this a know problem? where do i start looking?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

so it starts then dies immediately? if so thats symptoms of immobiliser cutting in, the fact it runs faultlessly once running as well suggests this might be the case. ideally get vagcom plugged in, scan codes, clear and see what comes back. if you see immobiliser fault, scan the immobiliser box and it will tell you why it cut in. again clear the codes and see what comes back to confirm the codes you saw are related to the current issue, not an old problem which has been long since fixed.

common one is key readers go bad and easy swap just bung on another one see how you go they're not coded to anything. The immo boxes do fail as well, in that case you need a matched box and chip to swap over then use vagcom to code it to your ecu