Badgerwagen C-Combe Race Dates

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by badger5, Jan 11, 2006.

1. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Best of luck Bill :) ,

If the ibiza lets you down, you can always unhook the car trailer and stick that big Audi of your on the track.

2. Keith R Forum Member

Will this be your first season in motor racing then, Bill?

3. ianb Forum Member

All the best matey....the mind boggles of bumper to bumper action for real.

Just keep yourself in one piece

What sort of line up are you expecting? Is keith not racing?

Ian

4. Keith R Forum Member

I'll be racing at Combe this year, but not in the same series as bill.

5. TerryFRS In Delete Queue

Look Forward to seeing you there Bill, Although your just going to push me further down the grid [:^(] :)

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

yep..
    racer virgin me.. [:$]

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

Start stocking up on some spare panels bill for that close racing ;)

8. badger5

I think the grids will be pretty full judging by the names signed on at autosports... 42 max allowed and getting on for 30+cars signed up I believe maybe more.

New 4wd class might bring out some fast as heck cars. limited to road rubber which limits lap times significantly. Keith has entered his a4 again as I heard the sale fell thru.

there's another ibiza cupta, a leon cupra, calibra 4x4, I think an S3 was going to enter too... the Cox's in their pugs again, Focus RS of terry... quite a mixed bag I think.

9. badger5

Dunno where I will end up Terry..
    its blummin hard work converting the car and making my new wheels fit.. Suspension start all over again.[:^(]

10. ianb Forum Member

Is that off with the Bilsteins and a completely new stiffer set up Bill?
    Big camber adjustments too?

Ian

11. badger5

not sure still working out what/who to use.
    stiffer yes but not mad stiff as combe has bumps.

perplexed

12. Keith R Forum Member

I don't have a lot of experience, but a couple of things I've found in my short time in motorsport:

1) Sounds stupid and obvious, but sit in the car, strap yourself in and get someone to set all you mirrors. I've forgotten to do this in the past and it's not nice when you know you have cars around you, but you don't know exactly where they are.

2) I'm not aware of the specific format of your series with regard to practice and qualy, but make sure you get to the assembly area LAST. That way, you can let the pack go, get a clear track in front of you and bang in some fast laps. People, in Stock Hatch anyway, make the mistake of racing eachother, thinking they're fast, but big no no for lap time.

3) That first corner! There's nothing I can really suggest here. It sounds like your series will have a packed grid, so it's kind of in the lap of the gods all caning round that first corner like lunatics! Be aware of what is behind and each side of you, but keep most of your focus ahead as it's so easy to get collected up in an incident way down the grid, while you may be looking in your rear view mirror to keep that other car behind you! Everyone darts around in all directions taking evasive action which in itself causes people to spin.

You will always cack yourself waiting on the gridfor the race. I had to open the window for big lungfulls of fresh air to calm me down a bit. It's a feeling that never really left me throughout my season. That's not a bad thing though, and you wouldn't be normal if you weren't. The last thing you want to be is over confident and thinking you're invincible. Once the lights go out however, it all changes and you really start to enjoy yourself, so don't worry.

You probably had all this in mind anyway and I apologise if I sound patronising. The fact is, I'm just a novice nowas I was when I started. The learning curve is a steep one!

Enjoy it!

13. badger5

thanks for that.
    was watching the faster guys qualify last year and they seemed to queue up first and go bat out of hell first before the full qty were on track and it got conjested. 30 cars on there at once all trying to go fast sounds like mayhem and luck of the gods to find/make space to pass lower class cars. Speed differential between top and lowest class is high. 450bhp cars and 120bhp cars.

Maybe the mad Action days at Combe would'nt have been wasted after all LOL.

Fighting the car currently on suspension.. found some things I would rather not have known about, which has left me perplexed at the mo and seeking alternate suspension.

I want to prep the car with the essential scruitineering/safety stuff first, get that all checked in advance by a scuitineer, and then look to the weight savings in any spare time I might have before race #1.
    Need to test car in its new spec before hand to see if anything falls off, breaks, rubs etc... so time is pressing and pressure is mounting. In that respect once its checked ok, I will be relived of one stress and ready for race stress. -this is for fun right? - LOL
    :lol:
    Edited by: badger-bill

14. Keith R Forum Member

Crikey! Didn't realise that. That's quite a performance differential all in the same session. You're probably just as well getting there first then, or as near to the front as you can. Being the first out to qualify is always the other option to last, but you do put added pressure on yourself to go quick when you, the car and the tyres are still cold.

15. badger5

the speed differential was fast guys on their 1st hot lap and field are still entering circuit to qualify.

going to be "interesting" [:s]

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

lol @ "Maybe the mad Action days at Combe would'nt have been wasted after all LOL." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Mad Micks Forum Member

Well done Bill, best of luck to you...
    Just out of interest, how did you sign up for the series? Is it still open to people to sign onto?

Will have to come and watch!

18. badger5

I did it at Autosports as Combe had a stand there and they only released regs and applications last monday anyhows.
    Should still be space although takeup looked rapid on the Friday I signed up on.

link here>> http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/circuitchamps.htm

regards
    bill

19. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Ant pics of the preperation?

20. nickvw Forum Member

Bill, there is a trackday at Coombe on Wed 22nd I am thinking of going to:p

it might be handy for a quick warm up ;)

http://bookatrack.com/-pE