Base ignition timing on Megasquirt

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by tomodj, Feb 7, 2023.

1. tomodj Paid Member Paid Member

Hey all, been a while ( very long time using a timing gun and even checking ignition timing). So just need to clear up a few things. . Im using megasquirt, so im assuming all the normal pre-checks on a 16v engine (9a/kr) regarding vaccum pipes and removing temp senders isnt valid for my megasquirt install. ( spark advanced has already been set in megasquirt and the map has already been tuned by the wizard toyotec, i just need to confirm base ignition timing of 6 degrees as the dizzy was removed. Currently, theres a lot of un burnt fuel and hydro carbons that sting my eyes lol.

Anyways, i have my snap on gun, borrowed from work and will set the gun to 6 degrees. Stick the gun over the fly wheel and hopefully the markings line up. Unfortunately i cant see the lines as they are so faint. Im going to paint the tip of the gear box mark white and the fly wheel line red. Hopefully this will help me see it better. But also, i assume the other timing marks on the crank pulley to cam cover and camshaft pully, this could also be used to shine the timing light to view 6 degrees?.

But my other question is, once engine is warm and off of cold start warmup. Should i get the engine to idle at 900-1000 by adjusting the idle screw. Then checking timing via the strobe. If its out then adjust dizzy, so the lines match again, this should be 6 degrees. This will also change my rpm, so i would need to then lower or increase rpm back to 900-1000 and recheck timing again via light, i feel i could be going round and round chasing rpm and timing? But im guessing they will soon enough level out. Is this correct?

Thanks tom

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

What version MegaSquirt is it?.

@Toyotec can confirm how he set base timing, best person to answer.

3. tomodj Paid Member Paid Member

Ms1 v3. I know hes quite busy, so he might not pick up this post. Im assuming all base ignition timing on krs/9a, is going to be 6 degress tho? Regardless of what mods have been done. Then the map spark advance is based of this.. Thats my theory lol

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

When I did mine I set entire ignition map to 6dbtdc and measured at various rpm's.

There may be a few ignition trims so you'd have to check first.

You want timing on the ignition table to equal actual timing.

5. 2swe Forum Member

6° base timing is used by OEM ecus, we do not know what yout megasquirt timing map looks like, what advance is using at idle..

in megasquirt world the ignition timing procedure is as follows:
    lock ignition timing to say 10°
    check with timing light if the spark fires 10° btdc, if not adjust distributor or "trigger angle" in tuner studio
    unlock ignition timing, now the ecu is using ignition map
    done

tomodj likes this.
  6. tomodj Paid Member Paid Member

Il check in ms, to see if theres an indication its set from 10 degrees or 6 degrees. Maybe there is a box with a number in there somewhere lol. But ive bought a new dizzy and need to fit that due to the hall connector broken off and cant stick it back on as its been lost over the years.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Morning still.
    Hi Tom.
    When I tuned that engine, years ago, base timing and other Haynes manual references were largely ignored. I targetted consitant idle and vehicle driveablity.

I know the engine was in pieces, so to set the engine back to where it was, there is a setting in megasquirt ignition timing to fix to say 0 or 10.
    Before doing so, fix the engine speed to say 1500 rpm and fix the timing.
    Now get you timing light ensure, you achieve the fixed settings. Slacken the dizzy to adjust to target, lock. Set the fixed timing to (-10 or the table) and from now on, your spark table will correlate to actual timing.

On a 16v without an ISCV, set the base throttle warm to deliver target. Tweak with the idle air bypass.

As these things are just embedded in my head, I just move quickly to get that sort of basic out of the way, before building the map for something like that.

Once the map is done, it will be good for 1000s of miles.

I still drive my MK2 16v MS1 to work and back weekly, a round trip of 116 miles without much issue.

Hope this helps.

Ed

erreesse likes this.
  8. tomodj Paid Member Paid Member

many thanks for the reply dude, heres a pic of spark settings. Im guessing it was set to -10 degrees . So just to confirm from that pic, i set fixed angle box to 10. Run engine at 1500, once warmed up. Set my Gun to 10,then align the timing marks in the flywheel hole ,by adjusting dizzy. once set. switch off engine, and then set the fixed angle back to -10 . One question tho, what's the reason to run at 1500 rpm and not 900-1000 rpm idle speed ? . thanks man

Attached Files:

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

^^ you can run it at what ever engine speed. I chose that speed as you are unlikely to stall the engine in the process and it is not too quick, in case you fat finger "+50" into the box.
    1500 rpm, ensures if you were to set it at 0, the engine would not stall. More a stablity thing to get the timing setpoint of the ECU to align with what is being delivered at the engine.

10. tomodj Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers dude, will be fiddling tomorrow,. Ive saved all the old maps from years ago. Even bought a second hand laptop with xp and serial port that can run megatune, old maps and also run tuner studio on my other laptop. I figured getting an old laptop that works fine just future proffed things as if theres and issue with map megatune/TS versions, i can always revert back to original megatune one which i think i loaded up via megatune a month ago. That was from 2011. I couldn't find any earlier maps saved when you cane over i think in 2008? . Blimey lol

11. KeithMac Forum Junkie

20221119_212540.jpg
    I have MegaTune working happily in Windows 10, reads and writes fine with a USB to serial adapter (I'd like to say it's FTDI but will have to check).

Amazing really, I was expecting a right battle!.