battery relocate - what do you need?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by RIP-MK3, Sep 9, 2009.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

need to get the battery where the back seats would have gone. What do I need to do it?

Presumably a battery box like this rallye design

And then I need to somehow connect up the current terminals to couple (?) of longer leads to the back and then bolt the box down?

where can I get such leads and connections? ta

2. mec82 Forum Member

3. battery relocation

hi mate, i aint got my connections yet, but i got good leads from a scrap bmw, which i reckon should be more than good enough and cheap. the older bmws that have battery in boot as standard- not sure which models have this lol

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Give the search a go - there are a few threads a while back.

Search on varley, odyssey, caravan etc

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

BMWs/New Minis have perfect leads for relocating the battery, but be aware that some have a small charge in them that is designed to split the cable (thus disconnecting the power) in the event of an accident.

Some cars have ended up in the scrappers for this very reason, since they are ridiculously expensive to replace, and have ended up tipping the repair cost over the edge of `economic`.

Would be a pretty major PITA to rip one out, only to find it was useless...

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ thanks stu, if i take a 12v battery to the scrappy is there and easy way to test the lead before i take it out? im an electrical numpty

7. StuMc

There should be a little black plastic box near the positive terminal. If you can get inside it, it`ll be obvious if it`s blown.

You can double check with a multimeter (bell it out) rather than lugging a battery around the scrappers.

If it has blown, it`s not entirely unrepairable, just needs a bit of work, and a shed load of solder.

8. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

I've got all the bits just need to do the work.

I've got a MK4 battery tray to use for mounting and holding the battery in place.

and complete power wire from a E46 BMW (chunky 2 Gauge) for way little cost as would have cost from a sound/electrical store.

[​IMG]

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

im just wondering how I can connect the current terminals to a new power lead?

10. StuMc

Ditch your exisiting, and run the positive lead (red) from the boot, through the car, to the starter (or where ever you`re existing power lead connects to)

The negative lead (black) you then earth to a decent chassis point near where you`ve mounted the battery.

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

if I order the 25mm lead from here link say 3m? to get it to where the seats where, how does the terminals that go onto the battery connect to the lead? do I need tools etc?

looking to order for the weekend

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

BMW's Audis and Mercs often have the battery in the back - either in the boot or under the back seat. If you rip a cable from one of those, you just need an earth strap on the other side.

Which battery box depends on which battery you're putting in. I've got an Odyssey PC680 in the track car, an aluminium bracket mount, held on with riv-nuts, and a cut down cable from an Audi 200.

If you're going for a racing battery, definitely use a master switch, so you can avoid draining it and leaving it flat, which will kill the batteries.

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189822&highlight=odyssey+pc680

Also, I left the front wiring intact, in case I need to fit a front battery in an emergency. I joined the new cable to the original battery clamp (bolted together) inside a waterproof junction box meant for outdoor lighting, which costs a couple of quid, and avoids any short circuits against the body.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

thanks, I can get cable from my housemates work, and they have crimping stuff to get the terminals on. Battery wise its just a 63?amp halfords one I think.

Were going to put it where the back seats would sit - need to think about mounting it. Can you drill down and use nuts/bolts or is it not advisable?

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ai it does, lots of idea's in there. ta