Bearing and bush drifts & hydraulic presses

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Vento Mike, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Hi, can anyone recommend a press for hobby use and a decent set of drifts for use with said hydraulic press?

What tonnage is needed for pressing out the average car wheel bearing?

TIA

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg Forum Member

enerpac are very good hydraulic presses, not sure of price though. As for drifts just get a selection of different sized pieces of copper bar. Its impossible to know how much pressure you'll need to get a wheel bearing out cos they all differ. Get a 10 tonne press and you should be covered for all pressing needs.

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I bought a free standing 10t one with gauge off eBay. About 250 I think. I honestly couldn't believe the postage was only like 10, it must weigh 100kg.

The gauge is important as when it goes up you know you're meeting resistance. If it just goes up and up then best to check the item. I've never had anything take more than 5t yet.

Very useful too.

4. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Thanks guys, as for picking up copper bar...not very likely when copper is 4500 a ton![:$] Bas*ards have weighed it all in.

I was wondering about the merits of a pressure guage...that makes perfect sence cheers.