Belts

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by ravello, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ravello Forum Member

My wife took the 8v digi to the garage for service and mechanic told her" all the belts were fouling in some way" and the rear brakes were "slightly shot" . Now I love driving Mk2s but know nothing about fixing them, what did he mean by this and how do I recognise the symptoms?

Thanks

2. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Rear brakes is a common fault on mk2's, the rear calipers are prone to seizing. Also rusty handbrake cables etc etc.. When cahnging the rear disks, you need to change the wheel bearing as they are pressed in..

Check the cambelt cover to see if its secured properly..

3. neil kaye Forum Junkie

take the car back to the garage and get them to show and explain to you what they mean,if there any good they will do that,then you can give more info on here,i.e the type of mk2 and year you have
    all the belts fouling in some way and brakes slightly shot are not comments id say a good garage would give
    what did the car go in for initially

4. clart Forum Member

5. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I don't understand how all the belts can be fouling in some way. That would suggest they are all catching on something - more likely the belts just need tightening (as they slacken off over time through stretching)

Rear brakes slightly shot is a crap description and is very vague. I'd go back and ask them to advise what about them is "shot" - pads, discs, callipers, handbrake cables, brake fluid etc. Infact I'd go to another garage and ask them to have a look and tell you exactly whats wrong. If you can't do the work yourself you can certainly do yourself and your pocket a favour by asking exactly what is that needs fixing and replacing and then going to GSF and buying it all yourself (garages usually charge a mark up of up to 50% on parts and probably get them dirt cheap dog sh*t parts from the cheapest local motorfactor.) and getting the garage to do the labour only.
    Also - if you join the club for 10 a year you'll get 10% off at GSF!!!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  6. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

the garage does sound a bit sketch the more other people say it, might be better to take it to another garage, maybe one thats got a good reputation and have a second opinion. im lucky, my mechanic is more like a mate and treats my cars and money like his own.

7. ravello Forum Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I will take it to a different garage myself and get them to explain exactly what needs doing.

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

If you advise your location someone may be able to recommend a local garage ..

9. mk28vICED Forum Member

the timing belt cover can come loose and rub on the alternator belt.
    does sound vague though.
    as above where are you?