Berg cup wide tracking question

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mikesdubs, Nov 2, 2009.

1. mikesdubs Forum Member

Could anyone tell me if mk1 golf berg cup cars use longer custom wishbones, or did some have standard ones but run massively wide wheels? Same question for the rear, spacers behind the drums or just wide wheels? Thanx.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Both types exist - all cars sitting at various places on the development curve.

The front does have genuine geometry implications, whereas the rear doesn't matter since, barring any additional flex from longer leverage, the stroke action of the suspension isn't affected.

3. mikesdubs Forum Member

I see. Do people have any preference on what is the best way to do it? Obviously it must be more expensive and complicated using different wishbones, but worth it?? I am officially in love with berg cup cars. :)

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The best way to do it is to widen the wishbones, to restore the geometry and avoid using huge offset wheels.

It just depends on how long a car has been used / developed, and how much R&D has been spent on it.

My advice is not to get drawn into that sort of work unless you're quite ingenious, or ready for a walletry assault!

5. mikesdubs Forum Member

Food for thought. Do any companies produce longer wishbones?

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Firmly bespoke territory - there just aren't the production volumes to cater for the varying logic and whims of each owner.

7. Jools Forum Member

although longer wishbones can be just that, measure a standard piece of equipment and lengthen it some what. bit of fabrication here, bit of measurey stick there. jobs a good un!

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

If your going Berg Cup also have a serious think about which kind of look your going for.

Removable panels can look a bit sharper but works out a lot cheaper.

Blended in style like the Reeves & my car will cost you a lot more unless you can do all the work yourself or at least stick to one colour to keep costs down ;) :lol: .