best budget mig

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by the doctor, Aug 26, 2013.

1. the doctor New Member

Hi all.

Has anyone got any experience with sealey migs?
    my trusty old cebora died a few months ago and I need to replace it with something cheap and cheerful,

Can anyone recommend a budget mig?

thanks John

2. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

3. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

4. the doctor New Member

Hi.
    Thanks,
    TSR's link aint working...
    I have finally got around to stripping the mk2 for a trackday toy.
    It needs a patch under the front near the rear one of the subframe mount, and after removing all of the interior it also needs a couple of patches around both of the rear strut mounts.

Other than that all seems well.:thumbup:

5. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

it is the Clarke MIG Welder 135TE (Turbo) I bought, I have done the sorts of jobs you are looking at on cars and it has done this with out being even close to being cranked up.

I did a fair bit of reading up on these DIY migs before I got one and the Clarke stuff dose seam to be quite well regarded and I was not interested in looking at a second hand one as I just wanted it to work and have some comfort that if the welds were bad it would be down to the operator.

On the MIG forums they were all bleating on about the small disposable bottles being no use, and you should change to the bigger hobby gas size asap. I have found the small bottles all ok really I got 3 when I got the welder (just to get me started) and still have not yet needed to plumb in the big bottle I have. quite handy being able to move the welder about with out a bigger bottle.

One thing I did do was fit a longer and thinker earth cable and a larger clamp which has helped with things.

6. the doctor New Member

That looks to be a very good welder but just too pricey to get past the missus!!!
    The small bottles are fine and much easier to shift about.
    I was spoilt with the Cebora i had before. That was an excellent tool (Had it since 1991) and saw some big jobs..

7. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Well they have a shop just off the A50 and see if they will tell you when there is a VAT free day on ;) also they do have a returns shelf which may have some price reduced MIG's :)

8. the doctor New Member

That sounds better.
    I know where they are,
    Ill give them a call later to find out..

9. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

For the record, I don't recommend SIP. My budget SIP welder is reasonably okay, but only after I heavily modified it, which included fitting a dedicated transformer for the wire feed. As standard it was terrible.

10. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

a mate had a SIP mig had only been used a few times and he offered it to me for free, but said I would not thank him for it :)

Have you looked at the Clarke 90 mig I was tempted by it as it can drop down to some very low amps which is perfect for thin body work (24 amps from memory). The big problem with the cheaper mugs is that you can't turn them down low enough to not blow holes in the job. Most of the Clarkes I to 30amps while the likes of Wolf etc are only possible to drop to 40amps.

Good luck with the hunt