Best coilovers.

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by MattVR6, Oct 26, 2003.

1. edc1 Forum Member

In your case, no need for Konis. FK and KW do height only adjustable and I think H&R, Spax and Bilstein might offer something to suit too. Then you have all the other stuff, which is much more your budget, like Supersport and Raceland etc (but personally I would never buy them, some have and they are happy people).

2. d4ve Forum Member

some ppl have bought supersport and raceland and are happy which i dont know why. or are they talking b'llocks
    how much are FK, KWs?

3. edc1 Forum Member

Some have bought them and have been happy with them. I'm just saying that I'd rather spend a shade more to get something I 'feel' may be better.

I'd also opt for damping adjustments but for some it might not be needed. Cheap models won't have damping adjustment (but think do you really need/want it?).

4. d4ve Forum Member

what are damping adjustments ?

5. MarkGolf Forum Member

I got FK Koenigsports

Height, damper and camber adjustable!!
    Great suspension, plus never heard a bad word against them!!
    I got them for a good price, just over 500 basically, but thats cos i got a deal.

Its worth saving up and getting the good stuff instead of rushing into the cheap stuff

I'll personally never ever buy another thing from Raceland due to their crap service, crap and bad attitude toward me when i confronted them about my f-ed kit and if u buy cheap, u buy twice!

On the other hand, Supersports aint tooo bad, i been in 2 cars with them and they've been nice.. not sure what their like in the long run.

6. d4ve Forum Member

i'd go for FK's but that means i have to wait.
    have to be driving the 4 x4 for a few months then.
    but i will wait as ppl say and i will buy the FK's
    cos i dont want to be paying twice.
    but wat is damper and camber adjustable? i only know height. lol :p
    cheers guys.

7. edc1 Forum Member

Damping adjustments allow adjustment of rebound damping, the action of the damper pushing the wheel back towards the road, and compression damping is adjustment of the 'hardness' of the action of the damper absorbing the bumps in the road.

8. d4ve Forum Member

so i will need them innit so i dont get a very bumpy ride?

9. d4ve Forum Member

will it be cheaper if i bought the coilovers in germany? i have an uncle who lives in stuggart. he probs wont charge me for delivery. :p

10. edc1 Forum Member

You ain't got damping adjustments on your car as it is so you can do without them. However, if you like to fiddle then you can make the ride harder or softer but the effect is much less so where you only have rebound damping. Bear in mind, if you wind it right down the it might be a bit harsh.

11. d4ve Forum Member

i've got 17s so it wont be wound right down. maybe just wound half way.

whats the website for FK?

12. edc1 Forum Member

Import from Germany is still subject to tax so it might not be worth the hassle.

Also ask yourself if you really need coilovers at all. Are you going to adjust the height afterwards once it is set? Can you get the same drop with a fixed (cheaper) kit?

For an Ibiza, the H&R Cup kit gives a great drop (if that's your thing) and you wouldn't really want to go lower with coilovers anyway.

13. d4ve Forum Member

well i've got 17s. and want the wheel tucked inside the arch like this
    [​IMG]
    how low is this? if u can tel me, i would get a fixed drop. will save me s
    Edited by: d4ve

14. d4ve Forum Member

the wheels are tucked under the arch when i have a full load at standard height.

15. edc1 Forum Member

No idea mate. Your best bet is to find some pics of golf3s and see what they are running.

16. d4ve Forum Member

every mk3 sits differently. some may be lower than others.
    having coilovers may be playing it safer, so if its too high u can lower it.

i have no idea what 60mm would be. it could be too low or too high.

17. sife1 Forum Member

you dont wanna go too low as it'll ruin the drivebility of your car. That's why coilovers are great, have em at a suitable height for everyday driving, then slam it at shows!
    I got FK non-damping adjustable ones, but to be honest unless you wanna be fiddling every weekend with your shocks finding the right settings, then these are good. The damping is just about right.

Also its been mentioned that if you dont adjust the damping over a long time they may be prone to seizing.(again more likely on cheaper versions)
    This also put me off the damping adjust.

but its your choice onto what your needs are! be prepared for a bumpy ride with any coilovers, but personaly i love the benefits more than than the drawbacks [:^:]

18. nez1978 Forum Member

just got back from southend, tested the new spax coilies out, they are great, not impressed at the incorrect fitting on the front strut, but get that sorted tomoz.

I think its dropped about 85mm at the mo with 17'' wheels on, it looks real cool, but is catching a little bit. The comfort of the ride was the shocking bit, it is so smooth, not at all as harsh as i expected, well impressed. Bit of arch modification, level the corners up, and enjoy some country lanes me thinks.

19. Phil

Phil Forum Member

20. eViL Forum Member

I have racelands, dunno if you can tell from my Avatar how low it is, but basically it is decked.

The ride is great and I'm very happy with them. They are basic with height adjustment only, but for what I paid they are really good.