Best donor for VR6 conversion into...mk2?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by GVK, Sep 16, 2005.

1. vrbanana Forum Junkie

don't do the Corrado fans, they are crap as the 1st spd always bails out + they are quite big, try and mount a pair of thin aftermarket fans. they get very hot under the bonnet to the point i had an over ride switch so i could run them on fast speed on hot days while on the track and still saw 110 deg+ if i built one again i'd also look at putting in a bigger rad

just a thought

2. copper Forum Member

would be interested to see how u get on with the 3.6 FD and the mk3 box gary.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  3. VR6Will Forum Member

mines spot on! best thing you can do to a vr, especially if its still a daily driver! if not, and just for track, 3.9 is pretty mint!

4. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Thanks for the update gary, i havent read the forum or spoken to you in a while, but after a long read I have to say that i am ****ing gutted for you to say the least.[:^(]
    But glad to see your taking the sensible route :p Im doing the same thing to my white mk2 asap. Have hopefully sold the mk3 and should have some cash by next week, so all being well i want the engine in and running before BVF. All spare cash is going into the illusive red MK2!! So... be nice to see VR power making a return this year[:D]

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

Gary,

Won`t that cone get affected by water `down there` ?

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

160k Andy, sounds sweet as a nut with no smoke tho , the chains/tensioners and head gasket which seem to be the things that fail on the old VRs will be done before fitting the engine.

7. GVK

Daz, it's already been suggested I get a pair of slimline fans from Think Auto, which I will do, TBH I probably ought to try and use the bigger Passat type rad, it can be made to fit as Dazza (Fattmk1) did on Dalj's jade green mk2 on 9x16 Borbet As:)

Perhaps not the right move buying the 'rado VR stuff tbh..

I'm going to use a Mocal oil cooler I can use the 16v sandwich plate and hoses, but not sure what size would suit the VR, I used a 13row 235mm on the 16v - don't want to reuse that element though... I need that longer/shorter? bolt thing to fit the sandwich plate too...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  8. GVK

ChrisP's old mk2 VR had this set up and I drove it on track, pretty ideal really and not too buzzy for road use, the 3.9 will be a bit short on 15" wheels for regular road use.

Standard VR6 FD is a 3.3 and although it's novel to be able to go from 30-100+mph in 3rd gear, it's pretty useless on track, the 3.6 makes it a lot more accelerative and responsive.

Picked up a mk3 16v 02A box yesterday from a guy at RAF Cranwell, and a complete mk3 16v front subframe - 60 the lot!!

9. GVK

Thanks Steve, I needed to do something different to try and rekindle the enthusiasm for it all.:)

10. GVK

Only if I drive through a fjord, apparently :)

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

12. GVK

Thanks Andrew !

13. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

MY first mk2 VR had a mk3 golf rad, which was very badly fitted.

All the other since then ran the corrado rad. never had a single bother with overheating, except on one, but that was due to a corroded head, not the rad.

14. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Think I have a bolt for the spacer plate, I adapted a new VR cooler for the 1.8T and had to change the bolt, will have a look round for it + said in other post i have a VR flywheel

15. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

nah daz, you gave me the bolt ages ago!

16. vrbanana Forum Junkie

DOH! Memory fades at my age[8(] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. ianb Forum Member

"VR6 Mk2 ? - It'll never handle you know..."

from the 'GVK Motorsport stables'

18. copper Forum Member

3.6 Fd will give lower revs at motorway speeds wont it...just gettin this rite in me heed again! :p Why is it better for track use?

19. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

because it lowers tha overall ratio, meaning you can use 4th on track too, not just 1st-3rd.

you can still change 5th for a longer one to give y ou an "overdrive" gear for motorwat crusing. I went for a 0.72 6th with my 3.94. 100mph is 4000rpm in 6th.

20. GVK

Copper, 3.6 is a higher ratio but lower gearing,

If you look at a gear chart the lower gears are higher numbers.

CCM VR6

3.300 1st

1.944 2nd

1.308= 3rd

1.034= 4th

0.838= 5th

3.389 FD==VR6 Passat, Jetta, Golf

Add the ratios and tyre size into this > http://www.aufg48.dsl.pipex.com/speed-ratio.html

Then add the rpm or road speed and it gives you either the rpm or road speed (approx)

Change the final drive for the 3.68 then see that the revs will increase for any given road speed.