Best radiator for MKII 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Rallye_Will, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Rallye_Will Forum Member

What's the biggest, most efficient, radiator and fan combination I can put in my 16v to keep the temparatures down?

I have an external oil cooler, but the temps creep up in the traffic due to an unlagged 4 branch, I would wrap it but I really can't be arsed taking the head off to get it out.

2. jake Forum Member

vr6 corry ones go in but you might need the double fan thingy from the C. Turbo Diesel one are huge arent they?

it goes without saying to check the thermostat in a saucepan with a thermometer, could be the trouble with it anyway. Mine didnt get hot in traffic even with the 4 branch and stock rad.

3. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

8v rad is bigger...

4. Rallye_Will Forum Member

Jake, I wouldn't have thought it would be the thermostat because it's fine normally and doesn't get too hot, just the oil goes up to 110 and temp to 3/4 when in traffic, but as soon as I start moving again it goes down. Still it wouldn't harm to whip it out and check it anyway.

Lemming, I know the 8v rad is bigger, but i thought the 16v was dual core or something?

5. daveybwoy Forum Member

As wired as it may seem the 16v rad is the best one for the job IMO. The water temp on my valver always sits between a quarter and at most a half never anymore.

8v rad is bigger but not a twin cord I believe.

6. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

8v is better than the 16v one

You will not notice a change in water temp between the 2... but you WILL notice a drop in oil temp if you go to the 8v rad.

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

What about making a duct to take some heat away from the manifold and straight up thruogh the bonnet vent?

8. Seizure Forum Member

Agreed. 8v Rad makes the car run cooler. Both my oil and water temps dropped. Coolant is noticable lower when running at high revs and high speed.

What is this all about a valver rad being twin core? I don't claim to be a radiator expert, but the rads are the same tickness. How can it be twin core? Shot me down if I'm wrong.

9. prof Forum Addict

10. Rallye_Will Forum Member

Prof, is that the Mk3 16v fans aswell?

11. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

A 8v rad will do a good job but bigger items are
    a Passat GT 2.0 16v rad ( has twin fans ) or a Mk2 Aircon rad which is the biggest, uses the holes at the very end of the front subframe ..

12. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Yeah, my Mk2 Aircon rad is massive. temp gauge very rarely gets to halfway - maybe one of those? :)

13. Rallye_Will Forum Member

MkII Aircon rad sounds good, but what are the chances of finding a second hand one? I really can't afford to buy a new one, what's the easiest one to find second hand that would do a good job do you reckon?

14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Tub cut a session short and went in to the paddock last time we were at Donny, his oil temp was on 150 degs!

I'd been driving at the same pace but mine was at 102...

I've got a standard rad and standard oil cooler and never have these overheating problems. [:s]

Read on here that a lot of people get hi-temps from their 16vs esp used on track.

strange.

15. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Dunno - if you do find any though let me know 'cos I wouldn't mind a spare in case mine goes wrong or anything. I presume they are hard to come by?

16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Make sure the coolant is replaced yearly and give it a good flush out once every so often - suprising how much rust gets in there and this is an excellent insulator of the waterways

Try also water wetter from redline - lowers temps 10-15 degrees easily - used to use it a lot on my motorcrossers where water temp is a big issue

My water temp never goes up above 'norm' on rack and oil temps are 112-120C depending on weather - 94C in normal road driving

Cheers

Rob

17. prof Forum Addict

the twin fans are mk3 tdi ones with the plakka shrowd sawn down a bit

18. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Bump for loadsavalves [:D]

19. NormanCoal Forum Member

The 9a rad from the passat is the ideal one, uses the furthest apart holes in the suport panel - I think you will find that the diesel (GTD model) mk2 rad is the same size and pretty sure that the aircon models will also use the same one

The passat also came with twin fans and these will also help