Best road hatch: whats the starting car?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by RobT, Nov 12, 2022.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Interested in some opinions of the starting model car to make a proper good fun road orientated hot ‘hatch’. This is not going to be a track monster but may do a few track days. Primary use is road. Needs to be reliable and not require garage work every 2 mins. Mods are free, within reason. Needs not to be too new and expensive so its not treated too preciously. Manual gearbox a must.

I was thinking mk5 golf, but I’m happy to be persuaded otherwise.

Ta.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I have one, (mk5 gti) so I'm biased. Obviously there's a huge array of stuff available for them, and not expensive. Bjt you'd have to say they're more more biased to road than track. Which suits me.

A Fiesta ST 1.6 is another capable machine with loads of available parts

3. Adamss24 Forum Member

I would Say golf Mk5 2.0 tdi 8 valve, throw a gtb2260vk turbo, SDI camshaft and pd150 injector nozzles, easy 250 bhp and as reliable as it gets ! I have built a few of these either 1.9 tdi in Ibiza cupra/Leon and the hey go like stink ! Alternately a fabia Vrs 1.9 tdi…same recipe as above !

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Remapped Edition 30 with a big brake kit, suspension and decent tyres

5. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Toyota GR Yaris.........cheque please :-)

That's what all the rally guys are lusting after.....very competent out of the box and needs no mods to be quick, not sure its a starter hot hatch though.

Interested to see what people suggest on this subject.

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I'm after something for my lad to start driving with and do a few track blasts as well. Needs to have some power to be fun but not daft fast. A new-ish body rot free body (without rotton wiring) and an atmo engine and manual box would do the trick. Clio is obvious one but would like to stay VAG.

7. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

You took the thought out of my head.....as you say performance for pound its probably a Clio. Unfortunately VW have moved away from the hot hatch market with a more upmarket fast but comfortable offerings, not razor sharp as the Renault cars.....which appeals to the youngsters more of course. I'd say you have to look at the Seat range really, the FR and Cupra R cars seem to offer good value, but most are turbo of course. Not sure they have made a sporty non turbo offering for many years have they?

So hard to get it through emissions and service interval expectations without a turbo on it I'd imagine, even the Clio's are turbo now I think?

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

After atmo to start with. Anyone have any experience of the Mk5 Golf with the 2.0 16v FSI EA113 atmo motor? Common code in UK is AXW lump. About 150hp, ali block and head, 11.5:1 CR.

Schrick do an inlet cam so I am guessing some more hot parts may be available.

Shame that engine not available in Polo chassis.

Yep, clios turbo now.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Toyotec likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I bought a Passat with one in it as a donor. HPR Hugo reckons a they are a very good head, flow as standard like a highly ported ABF. cams are available, and pistons too, for port injection.

10. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Not sure where I read it but someone was saying the 2008-2013 Renaultsport Twingo perform well and gets favourable insurance costs for young drivers. But it's French so could be fragile.
    ...but this is a VW/VAG forum so I shall go and wash my mouth out and you can forget I ever said it [:D]

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

150 FSI engine is a load of dog shite for performance. 02S gearbox good for a NA MK2 with a 2.0 16v. The rest can be binned, expect the FSI cylinder head.

If insurance is not an issue for a new driver, then:
    Clio Sport or RS

MQB Polo 6R or Ibiza Cupra 6C with a 1.8 888.3 engine

Fiesta ST 1.6 Sigma turbo

Mk5 Golf GTI OK.

12. Toyotec

Expensive and bespoke parts needed to make performance out of it. Not advised for a first car.

13. Adamss24 Forum Member

I wouldnt put a kid in a french car with lots of power, they are just too fragile in case of an accident... I know you guys think diesel is noy worth looking at but insurance is reasonable and power is rather easy to squeeze out of them. Cheap recipe: 2.0 sdi cam, gtb1752vrk, gtd2060vz, gtb2060vklr or even the old gtb2260vk will do fine! Adda set of wuzetem/firad or gibonta +100/120% and a remap and youre ready for 300bhp machine that can do 60mpg all day long!

14. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I know plenty of people like them, but I’m just not a fan of turbo diesel power delivery. Recently swapped my Q7 3L TDI for a TFSI petrol and for me its miles better, but yes uses more fuel. Not getting far with this, want to stay VAG ideally as just know my way around them and where to get stuff done if required.

Started thinking a gearbox kart the other day to learn gears and steeting etc but there seems to be nowhere where you can use them unless you go racing. Quite how you are supposed to learn I dont know, all the kart tracks I have spoken to dont allow them. And a 2 seater would be better anyhow probably to learn with.

15. Toyotec

You can drive a KZ at Whilton Mill, Fulbeck, Rowrah or Rye house, which might be miles away from you.
    Violent things with 0-60 sub 3 secs. Must be kart fit. Not all kart tracks have liablity for KZ karts.

Small MQB VW AG choices are Polo GTI 6R, 8X Audi S1 or Seat Ibiza Cupra.

16. Adamss24 Forum Member

Mapped Audi s1 is a cart on wheels however I doubt the insurance company will insure your kid on it !