Best rust killer, cavity wax and underbody wax?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by theboymike, Mar 9, 2011.

1. theboymike Forum Junkie

I'm hopefully getting my screen replaced next week and need to treat the inevitable rot on the surround before the new one goes in.

I intend to rustproof the underside of the car soon so I figure I might as well order everything in one hit.

I'd pretty much decided on Dinitrol stuff, but had a quick look at Bilt Hamber Dynax, which seems well received.

I've tried to find some objective online tests but as usual there's not a whole lot.. a dude from Bilt Hamber makes a compelling case for Dynax on Detailing World

Currently considering either the Bilt Hamber Deox Gel or Hydrate 80 to kill the rust, with their Dynax S50 Cavity Wax and either Dynax UB or Dinitrol 4941 for the underbody.

Looking for feedback from anyone who's used any of these products, as well as any other information such as tests etc..

Cheers :thumbup:

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

Epic response :lol:

Looks like I'll have to try and remember my Detailing World password, then :p

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

dw are all bilt hamber fanboys

theyre both good , use whatever you can get the best deal on really

id prob lean towards dinitrol if i had to choose one , they do a super runny one for cavitys and a hard waxy one for stuff thats external

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

I applied Bilthamber dynax to my FK coilovers before winter, and they are still in very good condition under the wax, after all the salt and crap they were exposed to.

I'm very impressed, and bilthamber is what my rebuilt MK2 will be getting in all the cavities.

De-ox gel works superbly, have used it many times on panels etc. Also used the Deox C powder to and have dipped whole calipers and carriers and they've come out like new. Top stuff. The hydrate 80 works well aswell prior to painting.

5. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Epoxy mastic by Rustbuster is an excellent coating, tough as old boots when dry and should be applied to bare steel after a good wire brushing, its a two pack epoxy coating.
    I used it on the underside of my car where there was some patches of surface rust.
    I wire brushed back to bare metal only where the original underseal started to be undamaged, applied epoxy mastic, then finished with a good thick layer of seam sealer upto the level of the original vw underseal, this can then by dressed and painted to look like the underseal was never disturbed.
    Epoxy Mastic
    [​IMG]
    Underseal
    [​IMG]
    Bit of paint
    [​IMG]
    You can hardly tell now that the paint has weathered down a bit.

6. theboymike Forum Junkie

Thanks gents :thumbup:

I'm aware that Detailing World is full of BH lovers; it's a bit of a swine trying to find any objective tests anywhere. That said, the BH rep on DW makes a compelling argument, and you have to respect a company that offers that level of information / interaction to the customer.

Ultimately I'd go with whichever offers the best protection; the BH stuff does look good though. Prices are pretty similar for both (works out about 9/ltr if bought in reasonable, shutz-able quantities).

Cheers Andy - good to have some unbiased thoughts.. currently torn between their one of their three rust killer products and trying to hash up a localised electrolysis setup to lose the rust.

Cheers dude - unfortunately I don't have the time / money to go that hardcore on the underside - looking for something that I can spray over the existing surfaces to protect it rather than clean back to bare metal. Would definitely take this route were I restoring the car, though; looks good :thumbup:

7. beetie

beetie Forum Member

posted this thread a few times on here. it's very good, but a very long thread. he tests a lot of products before doing things so he only has to do it once. :thumbup:

my 200 might be the same including the colour but it's definately not as good

post 1665
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=4032850&highlight=test+dynax#post4032850

using the dynax s50 post485
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=283826&page=25
    and post512
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=283826&page=26

i've used the dynax on my golf and it does run out everywhere. can't see what it's doing though so i can't say if it's worked for me

he used the deox c and gel also. index guide on post 1
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=283826

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

id advise against randomly spraying areas in the hopes of protecting it , better off being able to see whats goin on

last year i tidied my rear arches , they looked 99% mint but after roaring back the sealer they were starting to get ropey , if i had sprayed a product on top it would have done nothing to slow the rust at all

i used epoxy mastic then painted over the top ..might come back some time but i can keep an eye on it that way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

What's the epoxy mastic? Look very clean.

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

11. Willber Forum Member

Can vouch for Bilt Hamber de-ox gel and the Hydrate 80 products, both work very well. I use Upol Grey Stripe seam sealer to recover any bits where I have removed original underseal. Doesn't look factory but it's easy to apply and can layer up very nicely and I know that it's definately well protected. I also have some Dinitrol Cavity wax in an aerosol which is good to use for box sections etc.

I would say either would do the job niceley to be honest!

12. Squible Forum Member

Pigbladder, thats a really good finish you go there! How did you apply it?

I'm still in the fabrication stage of my build, but I'm using a mix of Upol Etch primer (aerosol) and Bonda primer (brush on) on and in all the areas I can get to, then I'll wax over. Bonda zinc primer is very good for bare metal areas you can ge to and want to cover though.

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

was cleaned back best i can , sealer scraped off and wire wheel /deox gel , 3 x coats of epoxy matic , grey stripe where needed then stonechip and brushed on 2x grey gloss that i mixed to be as near as possible to the body colour

14. theboymike Forum Junkie

Cheers guys - will have a good look next time the car's up in the air, since I don't fancy scraping off all the underseal; although I fully appreciate the point about doing it properly.

Nice work Pigbladder - looks top notch :thumbup:

15. boostedgolf Forum Member

just came across this post... i usually use soudall waxoyl & dilute it a bit with clean engine oil to make it thinner & apply it deliberitly in chasiss cavitys, door cavitys etc ...

as soon as the weather gets a bit warm oil will penetrate everyware & between body panels. i always do this & 3 years after we rebuilt our lada waxoyl is still comming out of body seams. mind you i usually use about 6ltrs of waxoil & abt 3 lts of oil

16. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

Early days in that its only been soaking 4 hours but the deox c is looking impressive , the rust is already dissapearing.

17. danTbone Forum Member

epoxy mastic is good stuff, and dinitrol is good as well. i did a test peace on a bit of scrap metal over xmas with epoxy mastic and dinitrol .then sprayed with salt water. left in the snow and rain and the results were like i first put the stuff on .

18. paultownsend Forum Member

i was a bh user until i tried dinitrol. i dont know if i didnt apply it properly, but its peeling after 2 months. its coming off with hose pressure. i got the medium size car kit with aerosol rust killer, cavity wax and under car spray seal

for prep i used bh surfex hd (this is an amazing degreaser) cleaned away any looses underseal. used hd again and let toi dry for 5 days. applied underseal as stated. my arches are just peeling and im gutted.

the cavity wax is good. as good as the dynax. rust converter is no where as close as the deox/hydrate combo.

bh now do a paint on dynax ub underseal thats meant to be good. and alot cheaper than the dinitrol stuff. wish id stayed with bh

maybe it was my prep, but rejal said it should have been ok over existing seal