Best suspension upgrade for a Mk1 Golf

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Mk14life, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Mk14life Forum Member

Hi, finally i've saved up a little money to upgrade the standard shocks on my Mk1 Gti (1983).

The thing is i don't know whether to get coilovers or just stiffer springs? The car is not going to be used on a track so i don't want anything ridiculous, but i definitely want something something stiffer as she's just too wallowey at the moment!!!

I have 15inch alloys as it is so i'm not looking to lower the car much more than standard (i want to avoid 'rubbing'), something like a 30mm drop i think will be plenty enough.

I've heard H&K are good, and also Spax, Koni, Apex, Weitec.....etc but is there one that I really should know about, or that anyone would willing to recommend especially?

Cheers

2. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

weitec coilovers without a doubt [:D]

3. woza Forum Member

Koni yellows (top adjustable on car) and eibach springs is a slightly cheaper option than coilovers... Best non coilover setup you will get probably (better than many coilover setups too).

Cheapest way I found to get koni dampers was to get a koni ssk kit. You can then ditch the springs that come in the kit and put the eibachs on.

Also rubbing depends a lot on you wheel et as much as the drop.

4. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

If you give an idea of how much your budget is...

5. Mk14life Forum Member

lol....sorry - my budget is 400 tops, reason being is that i am also wanting to upgrade the ARB's somewhere down the line to possibly neuspeed or eibachs.

Cheers

6. Mk14life Forum Member

any particular weitec, as i've seen 2 different types!!! The Hicon GT & TX. I'm likin the GT, but not likin its price, cheapest i've found so far is 495[:^(]

7. Mk14life Forum Member

Anyone heard any good things about FK, alot of websites seem to love em....?

8. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

GT's are what I have - would recommend them everyday, unless you are using it on a track I dont think you really need the additional damper adjustment that the TX kit offers.

Sign up to E38 and PM Ruben at Tuningwerks he should be able to give you a slightly better price ;)

9. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

I've been tempted with the Vipertech from Venom as it's a good price and includes bump stops etc. Just shocks and springs though, not coilovers. Any one any experience of these?

10. paul_c Forum Member

What he said!

I have Weitec coilovers too, the type which aren't damping adjustable (but are obviously height adjustable). Its not a daily driver and the car lives down an unadopted road, so its a pain taking it out, etc but once its on the smooth stuff and away from speed bumps, its wonderful. Also performed flawlessly on the track (day). Unless you're a regular track day attender, I can't see the point in damping adjustability - the car will remain just as controllable/enjoyable at the default (softest) daming setting (which is still 25% harder than stock GTI) - just ever so slightly slower.