Best tyres for GTi Edition 30

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by simonhill, Oct 25, 2010.

1. simonhill Forum Member

Bearing in mind that it has 310BHP going through the front wheels - need something half decent. Any advice. It has Conti Sport Contact 2 on the rears that are almost worn out and some hateful cheap Fulways things on the front that it came with when I bought it. The turn-in is just terrible, it really doesn't inspire any confidence, so I'm going to bin the front tyres before I end up in a hedge and have a full matching new set of 4 fitted.

I don't mind spending good money on good tyres - it's the only bit of the car keeps you contected to the road at the end of the day.

What do you guys advise based on experience?

2. mk2-wanted

mk2-wanted Forum Member

3. simonhill Forum Member

I have heard that before about the F1's. What do you reckon to the Conti's Sport contact

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Are you talking about F1 Assymetrics?

[​IMG]

I only ask, since the GSD3 variety are about the best tyres out there for wet grip (some say they are no longer avaiable, but you can still get them if you look in the right places... ;))

[​IMG]

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

proxes 4 arent as good in the wet as T1r's

6. gillm

gillm ***** User

i used bridgestone potenza re50a on my mk5 gti

7. craggsy Forum Member

I have Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta on the R32T and grip very well, had them round Snetterton recently all day and were fantastic. In the rain they grip well to, maybe the 4wd helping but deffo grip well
    225/40 18s I got fro 86 on ebay from elite in rainham

8. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Was gonna say, the GSD3s are blindingly good in the wet. The asymmetricals are supposed to be better still, but don't seem to live up to the old model. Toyo PX4s shouldn't be mentioned in the same thread as decent tyres. Those Vredesteins are also very good.

Yoko Parada 2s are available in ED30 sizes and are very very good in the dry and excellent in the wet as well as long as they have heat in them - not good from cold.

Don't overlook Uniroyal Rainsports either.

9. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

conti sports contact are good as a well balanced tyre for wear and grip, or Bridgestone Potenzas which do wear quickly and seem to have a inherent sawtooth effect on the rears

both OEM tyre, I have driven sportscontact on R32's & GTI after putting on a full set, and the feel is so predictable / reassuring drive

Avons & pirreli wear quickly. I don't drive that many of the other makes to comment - fulda/maxxis are utter pants

10. stehill1 New Member

tyres

michelin pilot sports all the way for me!!

had them on my megane R26 and now on the edition 30, best all rounder as far as i am concerned!

ste

11. coupechamp Forum Member

I had the contact 2 on my ed 30 and they only lasted for just under 10k...without even driving it hard. They got swapped for another set on the fronts and then managed just over 10k, for the last change i tried Bridgestone Potenzas and so far they seem to be doing really well. There was a slight difference in feel but you get use to it, the rears have done 24k and are due a change now, so might chuck the Potenzas on them as well