BHP

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by bubba_2_k, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bubba_2_k Forum Member

i am going to be collecting my new 97 mark 3 vr6, the guy i have bought it off is claiming that the car is making 240 - 250 bhp im a little dubious. the car is a 2.9 with a pipercross air filter, 6-2-1 maifold, 2.5 inch exhaust system, and head work (which the guy was pretty vague on) he think its been ported and polished ? .

just woundering if his claim of 250 bhp is accurate or if he is just feeding me a line

2. lufbramatt Forum Member

if it has a charger or a turbo on then it would be plausible, if not then i smell BS. a bit of head work, an air filter and exhaust does not equal 60bhp.

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Very much doubt it I'm afraid. Mine is a 2.8 with 268 cams, manifold, remap and it's 216 at Stealth. You might get another 10-15 at the most with a big-valve head.

4. bubba_2_k Forum Member

i was thinking bs but dont no vr6s that well, it definatly doesnt have forced induction. what would be resonable bhp figure for these mods, im not to fussed as it a good car and been well looked after.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i met a guy with a 2.8 vr6 with a claimed 280bhp. he had a "sport" backbox, cone filter and a redbull engine cover.

when it couldnt get away from a 2.0 mk3 he claimed it was wheelspinning all the way though 4th :lol:

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Maybe try this for a negotiation tactic...

We take it to a rolling road, and if it makes 250 bhp I give you x (maybe the full asking price?)

For every horse less, I give you 50 quid less - bargain!

[:D]

If it's a real ported head, and a real 250 bhp, he'll be able to prove it with receipts, printouts, or at least be able to tell you who did the work. Otherwise he's just passing on the same bull that he got from the previous seller.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

haha hell be paying you hundreds to take it away. itll be great to get him to agree with that :p

8. bubba_2_k Forum Member

he has a receipt for the head work which he will show me, i agree with no rolling road print out he could claim it has 500 bhp but doesnt mean its true lol, just trying to get rough estamate of bhp, so as said above i can be cheeky and offer less for the car.

9. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Just be certain it's a good engine regardless of BHP. Make sure you hear the engine start from cold (best time of year to as it's winter). You'll be able to hear potential problems (head, chains, bearings). Just check the engine is cold, i.e. feel it it when you go to see it before it is started !

Rough figures for some mods:

• Polished Head = ~15-25bhp
    • Full Exhaust (inc. 6 branch manifold) = ~10-20bhp
    • Induction kit = ~2-5bhp
    • Supercharger = ~50-70bhp
    • ECU chip = ~5-15bhp

10. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

If that car is 250bhp, I will give you my Mk2 Vr6. :lol:

220 -225 is the max I would say tbh and that is if it is what he says it is.

11. bubba_2_k Forum Member

been up to see the car again, the receipt is from tsr for a Pack `A` head ??? i said to the guy that the car wont have 250bhp he said it was just what previous owner said. he nocked 200 quid off the price we agreed so thats a winner. as for checking the engine car was stone cold wen i tested it, the cars chains were done 6 000 miles ago along with full service including disks and pads, car is on 71,000 genuine mills with full service history, got full kw coil overs, all for 2,800.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

nice spec but still a fair bit of money imo.

when do you pick it up? :p

13. bubba_2_k Forum Member

picking it up saturday, i no its a lil pricey but it a good car, full respary in 2005, kw coilovers, keskin wheels, full pristine leather, all uprated lights, plus its black highline spec

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Let's hope it's a good respray then....

I'm told that there's less scope for porting in a VR6 head, because there's no combustion chamber. There are still gains to be had, but I'd be very surprised if it was as much as suggested earlier in this thread.

15. bubba_2_k Forum Member

yea its full bare metal respray he has the recipt for it full engine bay interior respray. my mate owns a detailing company and he had his gauge with him and gave it the once over and said looked like a good un

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yup, sounds like it has lots of spec. it ought to last a long long time.... pics!

17. bubba_2_k Forum Member

dont have any pictures but when pick it up sat my mate is gonna detail it for me and ill post some pictures, gonna get it booked for rolling road as well see wht its really doing bhp wise , hopefully be doing over 200 bhp

18. kerrly Forum Member

250 is pretty much impossible inless the bottom end has also received some serious treatment.

For what its worth a friend of mine runs a 2.9 VR with a ported an polished Grant motorsport head , 266 cams, a 6 branch and magnex system and that made 232hp at storm.

anyhow as long as you are happy with the car and 2800 given that the engine has had a rebuild, a respray, leather interior and other mods would cost you a lot more than that to do to a 1000 vr i dont think the price is that offensive at all.

19. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member