Big ABF problems (Update 15/5... FIXED... or so I thought!!!)

Discussion in '16-valve' started by H8SV8S, Feb 20, 2011.

1. H8SV8S Forum Member

I'm really hoping this is the problem (I can't think of any other reason!).

I'm away until Saturday morning so will suss this out on the weekend. If this is ok, though, then I'm officially out of ideas [8(]

2. H8SV8S Forum Member

Might be worth shot then. Will get one this week :thumbup:

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

fuel pump relay worth a change too as this also powers your injectors

4. H8SV8S Forum Member

Sorry, forgot to add - have changed this too, but still no difference [:v:]

5. rubjonny

ok cool. next i would check between the red wire to the injectors and the battery -ve for voltage when the fuel pump is on, you should see 12v here but i cant imagine this would be the issue as id have thought you would either see full 12v or nothing!

another possibility is one of the ecu earths is poor, resulting in a bad earth to the injectors. check the following pins to the ecu these are all your main power inputs and grounds:

1 - earth (to battery -ve)
    9 - ign live (ecu relay voltage reference, fusebox pin G1/7)
    23 - ign live (output from ecu relay, fusebox G1/10)
    33 - earth (side of head)
    38 - ign live (from fuse #15, fusebox pin G2/4)

Oh another random thought I've just had, what ECU relay number do you have? it should be a #30

6. idlirp Forum Member

toyo, you stated: "the vaccum line inside the ECU is compromising the signal to the internal MAP sensor. You may want to check this.
    At throttle openings higher than much idle you will be close to 100kpa (WOT) anyway and the car will appear to drive ok"
    can you explain better how can i check that? do i need to open the ecu box and measure the map sensor pins while the engine is running? im asking cos i have the same problem, it runs fine for a couple of seconds than the engine visibly rocks, i ve always knew its sth to do with the vac. i have double checked almost everything mentioned in this thread. if i finally give a solution to this problem, i'll send a beer by DHL to everyone of you!

7. rubjonny

just had another thought, but you wont like it :lol:

can you take the injector rail off and check the part number off one of the injectors, i wonder if the seller was cheeky and replaced them with 2E 2.0 8v ones...

8. H8SV8S Forum Member

ECU relay is #30, but I'll try another one just in case :)

Thanks for those pin outs - will check them on Saturday!

Just pull the board out of the ECU, unplug the vacuum line from the barb to the MAP sensor and check there's nothing stuck in it.

Will check this too! :thumbup:

9. H8SV8S Forum Member

P.S. I've thought of something else, which I'm really thinking might be a major point in all this

The ECU I'm running was driven with a turbo installed for a few minutes (long story) and the MAP quite likely saw positive boost pressure a couple of times. From what I understand, this could potentially kill the sensor (??)

Every load sensor on the engine is new, except the MAP, so this surely is the only problem... I need to find a spare ECU, which is an 024BE and has the same Siemens p/no...

What does everyone think? Can positive pressure kill the MAP, or at least reduce its functionality?

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you can sort of track what the map sensor is doing in vagcom.

on measuring block 4 there is a binary block.

1000 = over run
    0100 = idle
    0010 = part throttle
    0001 = full throttle

11. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

From memory, the standard MAP sensor can handle boost to a limited amount after which the range measurable reaches maximum i.e measure up to 1.5 bar of boost over atmos and thats it. But I don't know if you can damage the sensor from seeing too much boost.

Matts idea is good to see if your getting approx the right value.

Gurds

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

ABF ECU internal map are rated 120kPa or 0.2 bar positive manifold pressure max.

Yes you can try another ECU and see if that works.

13. Toyotec

These are more 'engine state' related, which would result from a combination of inputs but not from the MAP sensor per se.

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

when i had my ecu open the other week i saw the map sensor was connected to the board by 3 solders.

5v, ground and signal

ive seen a few after market 120k maps that are 3 pin also, im sort of tempted to try and stick a new one on the board

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

16. eatonmk2 Forum Member

The only thing I can think of which gives lean AFR's but yet fowls the plugs is unbunt fuel ie low compression! You say you got this engine of EBAY with a KR head and cams. Maybe the 'cams'(chain end) are not timed up right. Have you done a compression test?

17. H8SV8S Forum Member

When I first started the car up, there was a "MAP sensor out of range code", which I cleared and it never came back... Perhaps there was something more to this [:s] I'll try to track down an ECU...

Yeah, true. Compressions all ok - the plugs are sooty and not wet, though, so they are firing. I can only think that perhaps the mixture is all over the place and running rich occasionally, which is causing them to foul up.

It's definitely time to try a different ECU me thinks :thumbup:

18. Toyotec

That would make sense if the ECU was used in a boosted application previously.
    It would be interested to get a direct read from the MAP sensor when the engine is running as already suggested. It should measure around 35kPa at idle for a standard engine. If for some reason the internal MAP membrane is damaged it could be reading closer to ~ 85-101kPa or simulating WOT conditions and cause the engine to overfuel during cruise or idle and cause the lambda correction function to clip in its correction.
    This is possible if the stock ECU was incorrectly used in a boosted application.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  19. H8SV8S Forum Member

Thanks Toyo. Fantastic info as usual :thumbup:

Have ordered a secondhand ECU from you chaps in the UK, so I'll report back as soon as it arrives.

In other news, I've found that 60psi (instead of 45) of fuel pressure makes the engine run almost perfectly [:s]

20. idlirp Forum Member

what do you mean matt? the ecu just reads this 4 situations from the map?