Bit of advice on this?

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by sprakie2008, May 9, 2014.

1. sprakie2008 New Member

Just need a bit of expert advice. Just wondering if this scirocco is worth breaking/selling/restoring? I know the Scirocco's are not the most desired old VW, but the owner of the scrap yard just couldnt bring himself to crush it, hense it being offered to me; being the VW lover i am!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WillG

WillG Forum Member

It looks complete from the outside, is it a GT2?

Apart from a front bumper which has been bumped it looks in good condition, but unless you get it lifted you won't know what the underside is like seeing as it's been sat on it's belly with no wheels.

If it's going cheap then you should definately be able to break it for more, and if it's in good condition maybe restore it if you have space.

3. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

Where is it? If you don't fancy it go on the Scirocco Register as someone will have it there. Definitely worth more than scrap value

4. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

5. edmundator

edmundator New Member

Hi, I saw a link to this thread on the Register.

It's an F-plate Scala, so it could be carbed or fuel-injected (1.8 8v).

The condition of the bodywork is going to be the deciding factor. Most Sciroccos develop leaks, so having sat around in the elements for a long time, it's likely that damp has been attacking the metal from inside and out. I'd pull up the carpets and have a good look underneath at the sills. Really, you need to take the body-kit off to assess the sills and arches properly. Sometimes they're pretty much solid, sometimes they're more rust than metal. It will almost certainly need a new fuel tank and filler neck as well. The inner rear arch on the driver's side will probably need a repair too, where the filler-neck bracket attaches.

I imagine that a car that's sat around for this long won't be a cheap and easy job to get going again - do we know why it ended up in a scrap yard in the first place?

It is becoming much harder to find good mk2 Sciroccos now, but values aren't enough to justify restoration costs for anything particularly tatty (unless you just love Sciroccos).

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  6. sprakie2008 New Member

WillG; you know more than me about it to be honest by the sounds of it!

Thanks for posting the link on there, Rooster!

and thanks for the reply, Edmundator! Thankyou for the information! By all accounts it has been sat there for a while now, just been moved from place to place, and left in places without standing water, but like you say, they have are common for leaks. I haven't actually seen this car myself, just got the pictures sent to me via text.

Ive come to the decisions I dont have the fund or the space to restore it myself, but I am contemplating breaking it. However, if anyone would like to make me an offer for it then they are welcome to it! Rather than loosing another VW from the road for good!