Blacking Trim

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by OxfordGTI, Sep 28, 2006.

1. OxfordGTI Forum Member

Hey All, probably been asked a millions times whats the best way to get the exterior trim nice and shiny black ?

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

take your pic.......

blow lamp

old engine oil

shoe polish

forever black dye

autoglym bumper gel (spit)

3. OxfordGTI Forum Member

Blow Lamp ???

4. DarrenW Forum Junkie

I use shoe Polish:

[​IMG]

works an absolute TREAT. I did the bumpers and arches on a Corsa with it, they were all grey and miscoloured beforehand. Took three coats, about two thirds of the bottle. That was five months ago, the car hasn't been washed and it gets left in the sun etc. Still look great now. Doesn't go blotchy, no residue.

Highly recommended! Just wipe it off quickly if you get it on the paintwork - it's thin and runny so be careful.

5. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

aye scuff cover is defo what u want

6. vinnygolfgti Forum Member

that shoe polish, same as in pic, 79p from all cheap shops, its a dye and soaks into plastic, lasts 6 months +

7. Tim_Q New Member

8. gti_jayme Forum Member

bleedy hell im going morrisons today to get sum of that polish better then the 7quid auto glym i use which lasts a week max [:$]

9. ^^StEvIe-G^^ Forum Member

wheres there a morrisons in London?...

10. gti_jayme Forum Member

not sure mate must be one up there altho londons huge

11. gsxr600nick Forum Member

How Do You Use A Blow Lamp??

12. ^^StEvIe-G^^ Forum Member

in about 3yrs of living here i've never seen one :o

13. DarrenW Forum Junkie

I think most supermarkets do their own brand version of the same kind of thing, I just used Morrisons cos it was closest!

14. Barkstar Forum Member

If there's no Morrison's near you try a Safeway, same company. There are some though, Woking has one for a start.

And as far as doing the bumpers etc the stuff Halfords sell - Turtlewax Black in a Flash - is a total waste of time and money If you wash the car or it rains it goes blotchy and is grey again in a couple of weeks.
    Barkstar [:*:]

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

you use a blow lamp or heat gun to quickly whip over the plastic ..its suposed to turn black again , but if you get it wrong it goes patchy or melts...i cant get good results myself but some claim that it works well

16. gti_jayme Forum Member

knowing my luck id melt sumthing[:$]

17. ^^StEvIe-G^^ Forum Member

its not the issue about where to get it, its about being no morrisons

18. gti_jayme Forum Member

morrisons is cheap as chips :) :p

19. OxfordGTI Forum Member

Thxx all I think its to the supermarket 4 me

20. was8v Forum Member

Any kind of generic "scuff cover" type black shoe polish stuff in a bottle with foam applicator pad will do - I used a different brand from sainsburys and it was great too!

You won't find many Morrisons darn sarf -they're a northern chain.