Blaming PhilRyder for this.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dodgy, Mar 14, 2022.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, definitely his fault, making my mind click away and come up with daft ideas.

While reading about the electric mirrors that Phil acquired, chatting with him and helping to find a replacement motor, it got me thinking, is there an alternative solution to the electric mirrors and tracking down 30+ year old parts that seem quite expensive (Somerset boy in Yorkshire here, so can fix most things with baler twine that I won't pay for)... off to my shed.

Found the old mirror from a mk2 door I got for Allie's golf, and the pair of polo 9n3 mirrors that I bought for the shells to paint for project Pedro.
    20220314_173903.jpg
    So that's a 9n3 mirror, outer mounting for the glass to clip to is identical to the mk2.

20220314_173853.jpg
    Twin motors like a mk3, so theory is to use a mk3 switch, or later.

20220314_174421.jpg
    Wiring for a mk3 is reasonably simple, will cross reference to a polo 9n3 soon.

20220314_174006.jpg
    Polo gubbins mounts with 3 screws,
    20220314_174016.jpg
    Mk2 has 4 points.

20220314_174319.jpg
    Motor unit on left is a couple of mm deeper than the manual adjustment from golf.

20220314_174337.jpg
    But I can claim back some depth by reducing the pillars of alloy in mk2 casing.

Golf unit is approximately 80mm diameter compared to 61mm of the electric setup of the 9n3, so...

20220314_131150.jpg
    Marked out some circles on mdf to act as a template to play with.

20220314_131135.jpg
    Investigated if this had been done before by Googling it ;)

20220314_174349.jpg
    Cut and marked ready to transfer mounting points to so can see if fits OK.

And that's as far as I've got so far, will continue over the next few days and report how it goes, fingers crossed can work it out so I can make a metal plate adaptor to join new in old.

Cheers for letting me ramble and I welcome any input, or suggestions for switches, plan is to hopefully fit one in a dash blank, depending on size.
    Dave.

PhilRyder and caddyboet like this.
  2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Not my fault! :lol: Keep going, those motors have got to be better and probably worth swapping into a Mk2. Must be doable.

dodgy likes this.
  3. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

Awesome work! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

dodgy likes this.
  4. dodgy

Thanks, you planted the seed @PhilRyder , just thought may be a way, and as you say it's a more modern unit, and plentiful.
    Adopt and adapt.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yeah I've seen its been done, but no guides on it that I can find

I've been planning to do this for ages since I'm going to wire in a MK4 CCM module with the door motors and such so I can use a mk4 golf switch. got as far as buying some buggered polo mirrors off ebay and its all been in the shed ever since :lol: looking forward to seeing how it pans out. the polo mirror glass almost fits mk2 mirrors as well, just slightly too large. the shape is nearly the same. shame...

i even had grand ideas for electric folding mirrors but dont think theres enough room

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

Tidied garage, and found some bits, this is a major back burner, but, roughly tried a plate today...

Stripped mk2 mirror 20220712_125352.jpg

Flat plate screwed where original adjustable bit was 20220712_125414.jpg

Polo motor screwed to that 20220712_125419.jpg

And mk2 mirror put on polo motor 20220712_125442.jpg

Bit proud of casing so will remove stubs and screw plate further in 20220712_125453.jpg

But, its workable, so pleased.

7. PhilRyder

The bigger question is will that motor replace a mk2 motor and still work with the switch?

8. dodgy

Not sure if the switch is compatible, I've got 2 motors as opposed to one, so probably not,
    Was planning on using the later type switch either mk3 or newer joystick type thing, not quite that far yet.

9. rubjonny

you need a mk3/polo 6n or newer switch, the mk2 switch is incompatible

dodgy likes this.
  10. rubjonny

if you want to use the mk2 switch just stick with mk2 motors, they arent hard to find. standard fit on corrado plus can find on 90s bmw, transporter, passat etc

11. dodgy

That was the plan, got a 6n2, mk3 and 9n ones to play with.
    Thanks @rubjonny for the confirmation.

12. dodgy

Any idea if the 90s m reg 3 series after e30 ones are same, know of a set that may visit on Saturday, might be worth nabbing.?

13. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

That looks an interesting project/distraction!
    I just fitted a heated mirror element on my MK2 door mirrors after prising off the mount and re-fixing. I bought the elements from @rubjonny ages ago and got them wired-up with the screen recently.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    dodgy likes this.
  14. dodgy

Figured I would get new heated glass when up and running properly.

15. rubjonny

16. PhilRyder

I have E36 motor and it fits fine but these are now getting old as well as being the same antiquated tech. A more modern alternative would be good.

17. rubjonny

transporter is newest VAG with them, up to 2004

dodgy and PhilRyder like this.