Bloody thermostat light flashing!!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by BHOGALMASSIVE, Sep 25, 2016.

1. BHOGALMASSIVE New Member

It's that same old question I'm sure a good few have already asked, my thermostat is flashing!!!! I have a mk2 8v 1991 gti , I have flushed out coolant topped up with new and stays at level, replaced all sensors 'blue,black, rad switch'. No leaks all air tight, fan does kick in when it should and cuts out no issues there. I have by passed alllll sensors and still flashes, checked wiring near connectors and all intact not exposed or broken, so what else could it be ??????

Please staple the answer to my forehead as it's about to implode many thanks [:x]

2. eightieshatches Forum Member

Could be the instrument cluster I had a motometer one do this to me before.
    Soon as I changed it to a Vdo one it stopped.

3. BHOGALMASSIVE New Member

Where can you get a vdo cluster from?

4. eightieshatches Forum Member

eBay or if there's any about maybe the classifieds on here

5. Neil86 New Member

I have a 16v gti, so not sure the bottle is the same, but i had this issue it turned out to be the plug connecter you plug into top of expansion bottle sensor had abit of corrosion and the metal connecters inside were not touching properly must of weekend a little i just cleaned it all out then had a fiddle with them works fine now. I realised you have checked but thought might be worth a second look of that connecter inside

fasteddie likes this.
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

try loopign a bit of wire between the 2 pins on the level sender if you haven't already. if it still flashes unplug the dash temp sensor next and try again. if it stops the temp sensor is bust or its a clocks issue, if not its the level warning system or clocks at fault.

if you drop the fusebox down look for plug C, stuff a wire in the back of the plug between pins 5 and 8 see if that stops it. if it does its a wire issue in the loom or pin corrosion as mentioend on the level sender. look close at the back of the plug where the wires go in for signs of damage, and give the wires a light tug to see fi they are ok to the back of the terminals. its a right bugger when they snap off inside where you cant see so all looks fine on the outside :lol:

7. sprout99

sprout99 Paid Member Paid Member

I had this a while back. Replaced every sensor I could think related to temp and it was my vdo clocks

Bought a set off ebay. Swapped speedo and all was good.

8. BHOGALMASSIVE New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, it seems it may be my clock's at fault. Was it easy to swap the Speedo ???

Thanks

9. sprout99

It was.

If you're methodical and careful it's easy.
    Im sure I found an online guide.

10. Tomhoms1992 New Member

I had this issue on my MK3, was found to be a faulty cluster in the end. Dead frustrating, I have felt your pain

11. BHOGALMASSIVE New Member

Hello guys just a quick one, big thanks to everyone for the help and advice. I strongly recommend going through the process of elimination of changing sensor first, by passing the sensor's and then looking at the clock's. Was really easy to swap the Speedo onto a work clock and if this hadn't of worked I would then assume some faulty wiring.

12. sprout99

I changed temp sender, thermostat, fan switch, coolant bottle. Lid....and no joy.

Changed clocks and hey presto!

13. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I had a polo that did the same it never bothered me enough to fix it
    It didn't over heat the temperature gauge worked and never used water and level was fine
    The level switch worked
    Just had this random flashing due to the clock being duff very common on that age of polo

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its possible the dash temp sensor is to blame as well, my mates mk2 was doign this and I was pulling out my hair trying to figure it out till eventually out of desperation I put my dash sensor ion there and it was fixed :lol:

the dash temp worked perfectly fine too which is why it drove me round the bend. All I can think of is it was intermittently shorting to ground inside, which was enough to trigger the level/temp warning but not cause the gauge to rise.

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  15. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye funny how things like that happen lol thats why you start cheap and work up

16. sprout99

I even thought about auxiliary temp gauge

17. blis Forum Member

For me, the ground was failing.. I noticed it happenening more at night and dash lights dim. Found the column hex was loose, tightenened it and came good. Later I ran a new ground to earth block too.

Ps.. mine was intermittent and took over a year to resolved

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016