BLUE TEMP SENDER MK2 1.8 8v GTI Digifant (1991)

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Wolf, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Wolf New Member

Thanks John.

Toyotec - Thanks for your post and sorry to sound a bit thick but I don't really understand your sentence. I get the part to test the resistance of the blue sensor but compare it to what exactly?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

[​IMG]

You can either remove the sensor connector and measure the resistance if the engine temperature is known or you can remove the sensor (engine cold after a soak) and measure the resistance against outside temperature. The resistance vs temp should correspond to the NTC plot above.
    For example, the sensor and outside temps are 15C but the resistance measures more than 6000 Ohms your sensor can be considered open circuited or shorted to +ve and will cause the engine to significantly add fuel on start (flood) and trigger the warm up feature. If say the engine coolant is at 90C ( warm) and the sensor measurement is still at > 7 KOhms, the ECU under such a condition will be mapped to add fuel for sub zero temps, which at 90 C will flood the engine on cranking. This sounds more like your problem.
    A 15C sensor temp should result in 2500 - 3500 Ohms and at 90C result 220 - 280 Ohms

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  4. Wolf New Member

Thanks again Lads, this is a great help for me. Great information and will help me carry out the procedure correctly. I'll be in touch with how I get on and results!!

5. Admin Guest

A lot of my probs were down to dirty wiring, I cleaned up all the contacts to temp sender, dizzy, knock sensor etc and the car runs so much better. Still over fuelling slightly though so may just need a tune.

6. Wolf New Member

MK209 - Thanks for the info, I too have been going over the wiring as Jonny recommended, cleaning up the earths, I have fitted the new blue temp sensor and taking a reading of 1570 ohms with the air temp at 28 degrees C, so with the details and graph Toyotec gave me that reads spot on - thanks boys. My next step is to get a new ECU, in the meantime I have an expert taking a look at the old ECU to see if he can locate and repair the burnt out track. So, once I have finished all the wire cleaning and have my new ECU, I will report back.

7. Wolf New Member

just for your info, I have now fitted an extra earth lead, cleaned up all connections and have my fixed ECU back with the track repaired and a new diode. I plugged in the ECU and she started first time, she's running a little rich so will need to be fined tunned, but its great to have her back running again! Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys upon the forum that took the time and effort to help me locate and fix this problem and also to my Dad who fixed the ECU, flew over to Spain and helped me to get her running again.....!!