Body Stripes

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by GrannyRacer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Guys, can any one help please? My 89 MK II GTi is booked in for a restoration and respray and at the eleventh hour the VW dealer has told me they cannot get the stick on stripes which go on the car. Needless to say I am not very happy about this. They have suggested a coach strip and I really do not want a black stripe painted along my car.

Does anyone out there know anyone who can assist please? What I am looking for is the black stick on stripe which goes along each side of the car (2 doors each side) from the rear panel right the way along to the end of the front wing and possibly the one which goes round the rear window on the tailgate. It has orange peel effect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

GrannyRacer

2. James_mk2 Forum Member

3. atlas2l8v Forum Member

volkswagenstickers.co.uk mate.

Sell swage line strips which are exact replicas and also tailgate decal. 18 swage line and 31 for tailgate

Can get grey , black and also textured

Cheers

Paul

4. atlas2l8v Forum Member

beet me james

:lol:

5. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, you are a STAR!!!!! Just looked at the website and mailed the blasted dealer with details. All I want is for my car to be fixed and look as it should, not too much to ask and they are lazy gits. The little ****e who mailed me actually said some months ago "Oh you are the one with the REALLY old Golf aren't you" so I told him hahaha "Yes, but I have a REALLY REALLY old 73 145 Volvo, what do you drive". He denies ever saying it and the body shop lads told me to wrap something round his neck!

How do I put a photo on here please???? And, James, if you are really nice to me I might beet you hahaha.

Susannah

6. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

you need to register and upload them onto www.photobucket.com or e-mail them to me and i'll post them up - ianmhowarth@gmail.com

You sound very thorough, i'm sure all on here would like to see your resto pics when you get it done.

7. My valver has been sprayed sometime and tbh I prefer it without the stripes - but I think they may have been put on originally to cover up a "not the best" pressing on the panels - if you look along it when it's shiny you can see tiny wrinkles.

8. 1990

Heres an e-bay seller who does that sort of stuff

Click me.

9. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, what a nice bunch of helpful guys you are and thank you Ian, am at work at the moment but will mail a photo a bit later (the car looks lovely but I know what's happening under the wheel arches and bottom of doors that's why I'm getting it done before it gets worse). It has to have the stripes replaced as it would not look right without them. Yes, I am serious about keeping it nice, my only regret about MK II GTis is I should have bought one years ago! Absolutely love it and had loads of offers locally, quite a few people want it but it's here to stay.

Have a great weekend all

Susannah

10. James_mk2 Forum Member

[:$]

11. 1990

[​IMG]

There we are. It looks very clean to begin with.

12. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks so much GTi1990 for putting my photo on. I failed miserably. Yes it does look pretty neat and polishes up well but I know what's rumbling on in a few places with some flaking rust so rather than let it rot I'm getting it sorted and hopefully it will last me a good many years. It's quite famous round here and without a doubt the best one locally, that's probably why I've had so many people pestering to buy.

13. SimonG Forum Member

Don't sell, keep it. Can't remember the last time I saw a good clean Mk2 in Tornado Red with small bumpers. I removed my swage line stickers, but my golf is black and those stickers were light grey and looked terrible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  14. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Fear not Simon! This babe is going nowhere. I fully intend to keep it for ever hence the money which has gone into it. Engine rebuild 15,000 miles ago, Tracker fitted as a scumbag Pikey came round after it (I was shi***myself for the 10 days waiting for it), had teardrops, awful condition 14" and replaced them with the BBS, an ebay bargain still a few undred pounds - drives better on 15". The only things it has had added are K & Ns, only cos they last longer hahaha, a high level brake light in rear, for safety, stainless rear box, will get the rest replaced with stainless when it fails and that is it. It's the car they got absolutely right. OK no power steering but that does not bother me. Husband HATES that but that's his problem he offered to buy me a new Golf and I said did he mind if I kept the one I have. he should have know better. If it wasn't for people like me there would be no good classic cars left.

What I don't like is people thinking they can improve perfection. I am not a Clarkson fan but he did go up (a bit) in my estimation a few weeks ago when he said "It's even faster than a Golf GTi". This does mainly local journes but loves 75 in third for a blast.

Don't laugh (OK I am getting on a bit and will NOT tell you my age unless you pay me a big fee hahaha) but I have contacted three ins cos as it is going to have to be an agreed valuation due to all the money spent on what is virtually irreplaceable. As a matter of interest before I tell you, how much would you insure it for bearing in mind a 3,000 body job and the rest. I have had so many offers locally for it but will not sell.

So nice to hear from you and look forward to your further comments.

Susannah

15. SimonG Forum Member

I'd never ask a lady their age! [:D] That's a tough one on the insurance, the more it's worth, normally the bigger the premium. Mine's not standard, has mods, fully comp and that costs around 350, so i'm thinking in excess of that figure.

16. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Haha very polite thank you. Good many years older than you no doubt. The advantage of being old is you are better off money-wise so I can afford to keep this beaut and insurance is a lot cheaper. And, yes, it does get driven as it should sometimes, blasting past the newer girlie Peugeots and Clios, they don't like it! About 300 which I don't reckon is over the top. Its something like 210 now, fully comp as apart from being a waste of time, third party is about the same. Nice having one of these isn't it?

17. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Hi again, this is one of my other cars (hopefully). If this doesn't work I need a clever lesson please

[​IMG]

18. atlas2l8v Forum Member

cool...the older lady in a golf ...come on im intrigued now how old are you...Feel free to pm and i promise i wont reveal :lol: ;)

19. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

OK Boyo, you asked for it hahaha. Before I reveal...... I drive my car fast I (but safe) as it thrives on it. Had a red MKII 1600GT Cortina, 69 and wept for weeks when HE sold it, well I spose it was his car so I am bu**ered if this one is going and he knows it. Offered to buy me a new(er) one if I wanted one YUK. I have an Arab horse, nice and fast too - age, and don't hold it against me - 58 so blue rinse and bus pass next year (I don't think). I work part time and intend to carry on as long as I can. Are you shocked? Some of us oldies are quite fit. Bet your mum is younger than me hehehe.

20. atlas2l8v Forum Member

Na not shocked :-) Im 30 so not a whipper snapper either

Wheres the pics then !!!