Bolting twin 40's on an 8v 1900

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Matty-Westside, May 5, 2011.

1. Matty-Westside Forum Member

Hi guys,
    Ive currently got a TSR tuned early mk2 (kjet) 8v 1.8 gti engine in my caddy.
    So the actual spec is:
    1.9l, TSR 202 cam, gas flowed head etc

Ive taken the engine out to fit lightened flywheel, new gearbox and my twin weber 40's but im making slow progress lol

I have bolted on the inlet manifold, but have been told by a friend i need to allow for movement between the carbs and mani. Did some searching and I think this is what I need - Misab plates

Is that right? Can I just use normal bolts with them or do I need particular studs??
    Is there anything else that I need to consider when bolting on my carbs, Can I get away with using the standard dizzy? Ive borrowed a timing light to help but I understand the carbs will need balancing/setting up on a rolling road once its running.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. MARRKUSZ Forum Member

yh u need these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WEBER-40-DCOE...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb1b32048

yes u can use the standerd dizzy.
    yea you can use the standerd manifold bolts/studs u might have to shorten 2 of them as i have to on my digi gti 8v or in some cases u might need longer ones.
    also u need a facet fuel pump and a fuel regulator.

also dont not!! use the weber gaskets to the manifold as u will have running problems u must use the ones ive shown u. plastic ones with a oring each side.

any probs give me a text or call me on 07508918913 cheers mark.

3. Matty-Westside Forum Member

Ok cool, is there any reason why those plastic ones are better than the misab plates? I read somewhere else on here that the plates are better than the plastic ones so don't know who to believe :lol:

Ive already got a fuel regulator and facet fuel pump, although I think the connections on the ends of the pump are the wrong size (either 8mm/10mm/12mm, cant remember which I have or which size I need [:$]) do you know of the best places to get the right sizes?

Am I right in thinking i can remove my fuel accumulator for the kjet system, mines knackered and I really dont want to have to replace it!

Also will any inline fuel filter be ok? I want to put one before the fuel pump as my gti pump got ruined by all the crap in my petrol tank. Would I need another filter near the carbs or is a single filter adequate?

Thanks for the help and ill keep hold of your number incase I run into any problems!

4. Matty-Westside Forum Member

Oh also, can I get away with using the standard gti single throttle cable, cutting it and securing it to the carb linkage. Or is there an aftermarket single/double cables I need to use?

5. MARRKUSZ Forum Member

yh u should be abel to remove it dont see why not.
    yh i duna about the ones u saw all i know is that plastic ones is the ones to use saying that as long as u dont u the weber manifold gaskit u proby could use the ones u saw as there the same as the plasic ones so id say give it ago.
    and the fuel pump i uses was a standerd face 24.99 ebay job and i used the fittings that cam with it. i think they were 8mm also u dont need the fuel return so just block it off and tuck it away some where. u can use any inline fuel filter but some pumps have one that bolts in the pump its like a long brass adaptor u get with it some times they have filters anyway it wouldnt hurt putin one inline anway just to be safe.

also u will find it a little hard setting them up as u have a high lift cam i had a little trubble
    as i had a 2.0 agg with 1.8 8v gasflowed head and 285 pipper cam but i got there in the end :)

also i will advise u to get a fire extinguisher as my carbs were running fine for ages then i replaced the dizzyy as mine was broken and when i tryed starting her up it wouldnt srat then when it did it caught light and burnt all my wirerin loom so now i anit running webers no more as ive gonne dont the crossflow head and bike carb rout.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1938998118958.2112619.1362540085

check my facebook pics

any way it did sound fackingg good u lwill love it and the power is good to.

let me know how u get on.
    cheers mark

6. MARRKUSZ Forum Member

also dont for get to block up the injector holes..
    and the PSI should be about 2-3

7. Matty-Westside Forum Member

Ok cool, ill go with the plastic gaskets you suggested as they are specific to weber 40's. Havent really looked at my fuel pump, its pretty basic though so i shouldnt have any problems there. Thing it was only about 30 :)

Ive got a fire extinguisher in my car ready, as ive seen carbs spit fuel out the trumpets which concerned me a little :lol: especially as I have individual sock filters to go on, wouldnt want them to catch fire :o

It wont let me see any of your photos, whats your full name and ill add you on FB :thumbup:

Yeah already blocked them off with 1p coins and a bit of liquid gasket ;)

8. MARRKUSZ Forum Member

o ok kool :)
    marrkusz stephen ashford

9. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I would "always" use the Misab type as the plastic housing with the "o" ring each side can distort with heat over time.

The other thing that you need to be aware of is the mis-match between the manifold & the head ports. Bold the manifold to the head and look down through... you'll see the top edge of the head protruding into the airstream... a big no no for airflow. And the std size of the ports in the manifold are too small as cast so need opening up to at least 30-31mm.

I would use a minimum of a single cable Weber throttle linkage and adapt the pedal end to suit.

Get a list up of the current jets & choke size and we can see what may need replacing there too to get a good basic jetting start point.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  10. slim363

slim363 New Member

If it helps this is the link to the post hussy made about the same engine before he sold it you Matt. Provided you've not changed anything the current jet / chokes sizes are listed :thumbup:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219999

Technically Jason you've already answered the question :lol:

11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Cheers Kelvin. . saves me some work! :lol:

If you don't mind I can post up the flow difference as I found on yours Kelvin. .it certainly shows the importance of of flow matching the manifold and head.

12. Matty-Westside Forum Member

Jason as mentioned in the other thread the manifold is already ported although as I didnt do it I dont know to what extent. However I have bolted it up and I did look down each inlet. The shape of the manifold makes it difficult to see the upper edge, however the bottom edge appears to match rather well except for 1 cylinder, although its difficult to tell if its just the gasket, or the head needs porting. It appears to be atleast gasket matched though.
    Because of time restraints/budget/lack of skill I am not prepared to dismantle it all to attempt to port the cylinder head (not sure how much work was done to it by TSR originally), and the mani seems to line up pretty well. However ill bare this in mind as potential improvements for a later date
    Ill look into a suitable throttle cable, but i have already purchased the plastic carb gaskets rather than misab ones. Do I run the risk of a fuel leak this way or is the chance of warping pretty minimal? I have got a heatshield over the exhaust mani (which is heatwrapped), but its just a sheet of metal so cant see it being that much good TBH
    In reply to the the other thread you mention the idle adjustments etc on the carbs. I dont really have any knowledge of carbs; in fact my experience begins and ends with me stripping down the carb on my 50cc mini moto![:$] Are you able to recommend any books or diagrams so that i can understand the functionalitys of the carbs in a bit more detail? No doubt it would make that illusive 'first start' a bit more achievable!

Thanks for that link Kelvin, glad the carb info is already available, and even better to see it should be adequate for my current setup [:D]

Thanks so much for your help guys!

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  13. Peter Jones Forum Member

My twin 40mm Dellortos are just bolted up hard with a paper gasket.

No issues to date during hard track use.

All engine mounts are urethane, everything vibrates, why should the carbs be special?

In fact two of the carby studs vibrated clean out of the manifold, didn't even notice 'till I took them off for some other work.

I don't know that the anti vibration mounts are esential as they're made out ot be.

Pete

14. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Think I agree with Peter above, although I haven't tried it.
    Jon