Boosting a 16v

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Vduber, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Vduber Forum Member

Hiya guys

How much boost (psi) will a standered 1.8l 16v take on k-jet injection.

and how much boost if i put a BBM 16V Copper Head Spacer Gasket which Maintains 8:1 Compression ratio with factory OEM pistons installed For use on the 1.8 LT

Chears for your help guys

Vduber

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The K-jet is normally thought to be limited to 200hp or so. As far as how much boost it will take, if it's done properly it'll take plenty. Have a look at the figures they are running on www.vwsport.com (in the hardcore VW forum bit). Using different fuelling than the standard k-jet, though.

3. madmk4 Forum Member

Me dad had 16v turbo technics conversion, apart from being one of them dreaded cars that always goes wrong, it was the nuts when it worked.

made 160ATW @ 0.4 bar boost, not bad eh ?

Revved its tits off to 7500rpm and sounded the nuts.

Crap on fuel though.

I don't like the sound of the head gasket in honesty, and the C/R seems a bit on the low side i'd say. You dont need to run mega boost to get quite good figures with the right setup, i know it's a better engine but 20vts can run like 1.6bar on a 9:1 CR with good intercooling on a standard bottom end, and seem pretty happy at that.

With the slightly higer CR, it'd be a bit more like a diesel on acid :p

4. Vduber Forum Member

I've heard about this unrealiable thing with the turbo technics.... And thats the one thing i need... Reliableilty. I think i'm going to have to think of other ideas....:(.

5. madmk4 Forum Member

The actual conversion should be fine, nothing is really majorly badly engineerd or setup.

The whole car was forever dying, and that fecking K-star crap caused shed loadsa of problems.

It was more things like dodgey wheels bearings, bushes, rads falling to bits etc etc, than the actual conversion.

Stick with it and have a go at it.