Boot build finally pics (56k beware)

Discussion in 'ICE' started by GolfChick22, Oct 3, 2005.

1. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

it looks excellent [:D]

i was unsure about the 6x9s in the boots, but i think the rear shelf will have holes in with acoustically transparent carpet on to transmit the sound, and 6x9s in the rear are basically just there to provide rear-fill - the imaging and sound stage will from from the amped components in the front.

the quality of the work looks ace - good idea about trimming the back of the rear seat in the same material too - will defo help with the pro look of it all.

I'll just put my order in for the rear shelf build for the chavalier...

2. gti8v Forum Member

i'll try to hide in any bush,

3. Steve B Forum Junkie

as dex says sound from the back is just fill anyway apart from the sub, i dont run rear speakers at all you dont really hea them when up front if you have ood componants, so there best just as fill for the passangers in the back and they are gonna be well close enough to hear thm in the boot or on the shelf so shouldnt make any difference at all really

4. GolfChick22 Forum Member

ahhh I knew he'd appear at some point, ure biased tho coos u've seen me half making it and if u get out of bed, u lazy chuffer, u cud see it finished!! ;):p[:$]

just won some diff door pods also so the next stage is the front components and I can now fit in 17cm ones!

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

[8(] [8(]

[​IMG]

6. Steve B Forum Junkie

riley is that your car, it is a really really bad idea sound quality wise to run subs unenclosed i.e. not in a sealed or ported box, and its and even worse idea to run them somewhere as flimsy as a parcleshelf thats not attached to the car speakers that can rattle around sound terrible compared to those that are screwed tight, you wouldnt believe how much even a thick piece of wood can rattle when its not screwed or strengthened anyway.

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

8. mothy Forum Member

Nice every1.. i was gonna put my sub a bit like yours neil, but chickened it & now have a sub box in the cabrio - and no boot [:^(]rocks tho [:D]

did i see a pic of a gal with jig saw in hand :clap:

9. Steve B Forum Junkie

i still wouldnt think it would be as good as a proper box to be honest, however if your happy with it thats all that matters im sure its sounds fine anyway :)

10. GolfChick22 Forum Member

im agreeing with steveB im afraid subs shud be in a box. looks awesome but sound is so much better

yeah it was me with a jigsaw in hand however i think a slightly more hotter pic wud be me behind my band saw... little more lethal [:D]

11. Steve B Forum Junkie

i think a low cut top, your golf and some wax would make for hotter pic myself ;)

12. GolfChick22 Forum Member

true but im saving that for my fella [:D]now i have on, yay me! and i suppose yay him too?!

13. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ahh but what if they were free air subs ;) :lol:

bit of a techy question anyway,wont the sound be baffled when the subs in the boot? always wondered like... [:s]

neil.

14. Steve B Forum Junkie

no not really bass travels very well through objects, so muffling isnt really a problem, you feel most bass just as much as you hear it anyway.

to proove a point if your in a night club and you go out side what can you usually still here the thudding bass or the high pitch stuff.

you really wont notice when there in the boot properly infact it should sound better and the proper resistance will make your subs last longer :)

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ahh i see m8 [8D]

i did start building an install but i got pissed off with it and went the easy route :lol:

have a cool vw towel to throw over the shelf if i park anywhere dodgy too [8D]

any more pics/updates golfchick? :)

16. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

i hope thats not the only fuse in your system riley, should really be with in 6-12 inches of the battery! [8(]

if you are comparing the sound of it to not having any stereo (apart from standard) then im sure it does sound soup-herb, but if you compared it with some good gear in a well made box and properly set up then i think you would change your mind,[​IMG]

tim

17. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

have another fuse under the bonnet tim :thumbup:

also have 4xjbl's up front in the doors and dash,with tweets on the windscreen pillars and jbl's in the rear shelf side sections.

didnt really have the cash for comps or anything [8(]

18. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

im sure you could have got some comps for the price of 3 set of coaxals!

:)

19. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

yeah probably could have tim m8,but id have wanted bigger ones which then meant door pods etc,i got em at decent money anyway.

it sounds pretty good for the minute,for the minute he says... :lol:

20. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

hairy muff matey,

you still got you mk1? whats going on with that? or is that a can of worms thats staying sealed for the time beeeeeing?.

tim