Boot solionoid

Discussion in 'Security' started by Steve B, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Steve B Forum Junkie

Can anyone help me

i have a toad alarm (not sure on the model but i can find out in a week or so if needed)

and i intend to fit a solionoid to the boot to pop it open when i press one of the spare buttons on the keyfob (the one underneath the door lock button)

but i need to know a few things

1) how the hell do i wire the solionoid to the alarm button

with not fitting the alarm i have no idea which wires to use or where to connect it.

2)how do i wire up the solionoid

im guessing there isnt enough power from the alarm to activate the solionoid so is it wired directly to the battery?

3) how does a solionoid work?

does it open and then close after a time gap or does another button have to be pressed to close the solionoid

also does a solionoid work in the same way as eletric central locking pulling and pushing of metal bars?

4) can i remove the lock from the boot without leaving a hole or gap

5) will the boot still be secure if the lock will not lock but the boot cannot be opened from the outside (as i will disable the push button on the car?, and the boot can only be opend by a solionoid (and maybe a saftey peice of string incase the boot soilionoid brakes (you cant reach the lock form inside the car on a jetta so i may fit some way or opening the boot in an emergancy)

6) is there anywhere online that i can order and see a pic of a boot solionoid so i know what im getting

it would be great if anyone could answer any of these questions

cheers guys

2. Steve B Forum Junkie

one last question

what kind of device could i get to open the boot when the catch is realeased

i want the boot to actually open when the catch is released (similar to the way the boot opens on a merc)

im guessing bonnet struts wouldnt do this because they arnt strong enough

any ideas? remember this is on a jetta and i think the boot is a little easier to lift than the boot of a golf.

3. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Phone your alarm fitter, he should be able to tell you what colour wire is the trigger for the boot release.

It (the alarm output) is usally an impulse of 1/2 - 1 sec or so, the idea being that the solenoid releases the catch, and then returns to rest - most solenoids work by pulling a plunger, that's then attached to the boot catch linkage.

You'll need a relay to supply the required current for the solenoid - it'll draw a lot (10-20amps), also think about a small switch (momentary) so you can release the solenoid/boot manually.

i built a little control box for my boot-release, wired into the alarm, with an illuminated switch that lit up when you pushed it (very cheezy). But the solenoid-boot linkage was a bit ropey, and rarely worked properly, so I don't use it.

4. Steve B Forum Junkie

cool sky rocketer i can sort a relay pretty easily so as long as the solioniod is fed a 12v feed it will remain open correct?

when it looses the feed it returns to closed?

or is it that when it gets a 12v feed the solionoid opens then closes ?

because i would have though the soilionoid worked like a relay to some extent anyway i.e. had a permanant 12v source and a on off wire (like an amp) that went triggered opens and closes the relay.

about opening the boot manually i was thinking of wiring a hidden something somewhere so that the boot can be opend form inside in an emergancy

the reson being if the main part of the car is breeched by a thief there is no way of getting into the boot from the cockpit of the car (which is where i have an amp)

if i have it so the boot can be opened form inside the car then they could gain entry to both parts instead of just one.

as the keyfob will always be on me when i am in or near the car it makes sense for me just to use that instead.

cheers for you answers tho mate much apriciated anyone help with the other q's :)

5. Steve B Forum Junkie

meaning you dont use the solionoid at all and just use the key and button?

or you just dont use the intirior switch much?

6. Steve B Forum Junkie

I found this at maplin could this be used as (i know this is worrying but i found a tutorial for a guy who had done it to his nova and he used this.

but wouldnt this type of solionoid not pop back to place once it was triggered?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040128202 359450&moduleno=12304

7. Mikey C Forum Member

[​IMG]

you want the thing in the right hand half of that picture, the top shiny thing is the solenoid with a steel wire thing that you attatch to the lock which it pulls.

i got some of them central lockin things from maplins for mine first (cos they were cheap) but i decided they didn't pull hard enough. so i got three of them things above for my doors and boot, i've put the doors ones in so far and they work perfect, they'll have no problems doin the boot. also the central locking ones work on pulses so you'd need the control module box for it too (i think)

solenoids pull for as long as they have 12v on them, simple as that, two connections, 12v and ground. theres a switch and fuse included in the kit (see pic) which are suitable. but use a relay if your doin it fro m you alarm.

mike

8. Steve B Forum Junkie

any chance you can tell me where i can get them from mate or how much they cost?

9. Steve B Forum Junkie

cheers for the post aswell mate just doing a load of serching now to try to find somewhere that sells them

10. Steve B Forum Junkie

11. Mikey C Forum Member

i got them at volksbits
    i bought three at inters for 50, so i couldn't coimment on their mail order service. TBH its proly tthe exact same thing as above, its from japan or china or somat and the poorly translated instructions that are included are a laff,

mike

12. Steve B Forum Junkie

lol i can imagein ill give em alook and if there cheaper ill get em from there

13. Steve B Forum Junkie

right ive ordered one from volks bits

ive ordered form big boys toys before over the phone and they sent me 256 brake discs with 239 pads which made no sense (althought they were very helpful when i rang to tell them of there mistake and were ready to send me some new discs before they recieved the old discs back)

so lets hope volks bits can do a little better lol

once i have the boot popper ill get myself down to maplin and get a relay and some wiring (if i need it) and get over to the store i bought my alarm to try to find out which wire to use then it should be sorted

cheers for the help guys its much apriciated

so only one question left now how to get the boot to open automatically any ideas guys?

14. Steve B Forum Junkie

do thoes bonnet struts (you know the posh aloy air tubes people use to hold there bonnets up) actually push or do they just hold, because if they push i could probably use them?

15. mk3anniversary Forum Member

you have to lift yourself the first 10inches or so, then they lift

16. Steve B Forum Junkie

hmm well i know the boot would be a lot lighter and alot easier to lift on the jetta..

i think i ll get some from the scrappies and give them a go if they work ill get some propper ones cheers guys