Bora - loss of power (again)

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by stella, Feb 28, 2011.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

My Bora is happy toddling around town, but when under load (high speed/full of passengers/up hill) there is a loss of power. Someone fixed a vacuum hose for me and the pipe I blew off (intercooler/turbo) has been fixed, so that eliminates some of the problems. Also, fuel filter was changed at last service.

Coming home the other night, full of passengers and uphill, it happened again. Son reckons it's a slipping clutch, which is exactly how I described it. But in the past, I've had the clutch go on a couple of cars, and when it slipped, I could smell it burning. I can't smell any burning, and when the loading is dropped off, the car seems to pick up again and carry on as normal.

Is is possible to have a slipping clutch and it not smell? Is is possible to tell if the clutch is worn without taking apart? How would I tell? It's due a service next month - would VW be able to tell me?

And if it is the clutch, how much is it likely to cost to sort out?

2. danster Forum Addict

If the clutch is slipping the rev counter would rise without an increase in road speed. This is pretty obvious when driving as the engine would be revving to the redline, or governor on a diesel, if you did not notice the the clutch was slipping.

More likely to be boost / limp mode problem again.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

N75 valve. Has to be!

4. stella

stella Forum Junkie

lol - limp mode just about describes it!

So's not to look too ignorant, I googled N75 but first it came up with a Nokia phone, then I read something about a dump valve, which I thought was what my d-in-law has on her Mk4 GTI to make loud noises with!

I wasn't looking at the rev counter when it happened on Friday night, as I was on the hill from hell, twisty, unlit and pouring with rain. I will certainly try to see it the next time I feel it happens.

If they connect the car up when it goes to VW, would they be able to tell on their computer where the fault lies? (I'm more used to my Mk2 which never had to be connected to a computer)

And if this valve is the problem, what would it cost to a) buy and b) replace? (I'm guessing, by your comments, that I'm not going to have to buy a new clutch?)

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Basically the pesky gadget controls the amount of boost and dumps excess boost.

My car does just the same: sniff of a hill, opens the wastegate, and loses power. At this point it becomes a non-turbo car! Round town, you'd never notice.

So hopefully not a clutch. It could be a vacuum hose with a split in it, but the erratic behaviour suggests it's a pesky gadget.

6. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Thanks - it gives me a clue to know what to ask about when I take it in. (It did at one stage have a split in a vac hose and one of the nice Nottingham CGTI members mended it for me at a meet. It was like driving a different car on the way home!)

Will keep you posted.

7. coalville dub Forum Member

Why didn't you let me know the n75 was sticking last time

8. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

Totally agree with Chris, sounds classic N75. To make matters worse i managed to find the following faults causing my car not to run as it should!

-N75
    -Hall sensor broken
    -Maf broken.

Once all fixed, it felt like a rocket ship!

9. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Thanks to all you gentlemen and your expert guesses, my car is now sorted :)

I took it to VW and asked for a N75 valve thingy, but when the chap looked it up, he called it something else (sorry, can't remember what) and said that there were two of them, which one did I want?

Having done some reading, it said that it/they needed replacing at least once in the car's life, so I decided to have both.

The upshot is that both were replaced. I also asked them to check the vacuum hoses and the intercooler/turbo hose thingy that I blew off a few months back. I don't know if they did check those, but the car is a whole lot better now than it was.

So I now have most of the 100bhp - wow! It's not exactly overwhelming and still doesn't feel as responsive as my Golf Driver (petrol) but it's got nearly a quarter of a million kilometres on the clock and it's a nine-year-old diesel, so I suppose I can't expect rocketship performance.

So you have my grateful thanks (until the next thing to go wrong! ;))

10. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

When I ran vagcom on my car a few months back I saw that the Hall sensor was buggered, so after replacing it and clearing the codes I got a massive increase in power.. looks like my car was in limp mode since the day I brought it! - have you had it hooked up to vagom to check for faults?

11. coalville dub Forum Member

The bora's a tdi not a petrol

12. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I thought all my troubles were over, but they're not. Although the car is running better, the other night I went to overtake a bus, so put my foot down hard. It revved but no increase in speed. Luckily, there was enough room for me to get past safely, but now wondering what to do next.

Could it still be the clutch? No burning smell, but it's right at the top. How could I check?

Also, what is MAF? And how do I check? Is it a big/expensive job to replace. Sadly, my VW chap has left the garage now, so it looks like I'll have to pay full price for everything from now on :-(

13. coalville dub Forum Member

I would say clutch if it's revving up with no pickup of speed it can only be that kens auto spears in bulwell do a single mass convertion for about 230 witch will be a lot less than Vw I could do it for 330 all in

14. stella

stella Forum Junkie

What is a single mass conversion? Do I need one?

And if it's anything to do with the clutch, wouldn't I smell burning?

15. coalville dub Forum Member

Not all the time your bora has a duel mass flywheel mega expensesive to replace better off putting a solid flywheel convertion in and save a lot of money

16. DAZTDGTI Forum Member

Hi guys hope your all well sounds like your having fun,
    A DMF is a lot more money, and a lot of people do a way with the DMF and replaced it with a solid fly wheel problem there with it being diesel you may get transmission vibration
    so up to you really
    As for me my DMF is on the way out but going to replaced with a racing clutch

17. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

you may just need a clutch stella, Clutch slaves do have a habbit of leaking soaking the clutch plate in slippy fluid
    mk4 duel mass flywheels are fairly decent and not replaced as often as mk5 parts

that includes my own that got just the clutch & slave/release bearing

18. techfreak New Member

did this ever get solved?