Bought a 2nd hand welder today...

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Mike_H, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

Snap On Pro Mig 160 - inc big gas bottle and regulator for 200. Seems to weld OK so far.

It needs a new torch though - it works but it's a bit tired. Anyone know much about Euro Torch upgrades, or done one on a Snap-On / Cebora Mig?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

bit retro, but from what I remembers a great machine

the gas bottle will last for ages, if its full

3. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Can get a euro converter for around 30 (list), and pick up a fairly decent torch for about the same.
    The only thing that really lets them down is the fan is pretty poor if you're doing a lot of welding and will overheat. Doubt you'll ever get to do anything heavy enough for it to worry you though!

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Gas bottle was at 125 bar when I started welding yesterday, but down at 105 after a few hours of welding little patches on wheel arches. I think it's chucking far too much gas through the torch. The regulator seems to be locked and is reading about 10 bar on the output side (EDIT - misread the scale - it was 4.5 bar). I can't see why it would need that much pressure - certainly a lot more than the little regulators I've used in the past. I'm going to try and get another regulator or a flow meter to control it more accurately.

Do you know if the pro migs normally run the gas at much higher pressure - it was really belting out the end of the torch.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  5. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'll mostly be doing bodywork, with occasional heavier stuff like seat rails, roll cage plates, brackets, etc. I've not been above setting No 2 as yet!

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I bought a Euro Torch and converter in a set for about 65 including postage. The company is Technical Arc up in York. They manufacture welders such as Portamig (generally seen as a good brand) so I was reasonably confident.

I've fitted the torch tonight - had to shorten it slightly, and it's a bit fiddly getting it all lined up, but the wire fed through without a hitch, so with a bit of luck I'll get a chance to use it tomorrow night. Hoping for smoother wire feed and more controllable welding.

The torch conversion kit.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110811295...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1680wt_927

I got the regulator unstuck and wound the gas pressure down a bit too. It was up around 4.5 bar, and now 1/3 of that. Seems to weld just as well.

I've ordered a proper flow meter to get it set more accurately.

7. andyneedham2 Forum Member

Mmmm, rocco love.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

There's another 2.5 Roccos in there, plus one in the garage at home.

9. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

As for the gas, don't bother looking at the gauge for what you do, put it to your ear, turn it up til you can just hear it hissing when you hit the trigger, then give it a little more.
    Too little gas will make your welds looks like a chocolate Aero, so just use the minimum you can get away with.

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

I partly went by ear for the interim setting - to get the same sort of hiss that I'm used to on the old sealey mig with little gas bottles. I've done some welding on the lower setting and it seems fine so far. I might experiment a bit more when I get a chance.

I've ordered the flow meter, so it'll be interesting to see if I was about right. It's a massive bottle (as you can see in the pics) so the 95 bar that's left should last a good while. Shame Energas don't have an agent down south. I don't suppose someone else will want to fill their cylinder, so it might be scrap when it's empty, but I'll ask around the local agents.

11. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Usually filled to 200 bar, so half a bottle there. BOC are around 100 a year for rental, and a refill will cost you about 50 as a cash customer. If you have the space, don't bother getting a smaller bottle as the rental on those is around 75 a year. Think you just need a couple of bits of paper with your address on and some photo ID to set an account up.

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

I don't think I'll use enough to justify the BOC rental charges. Adams Gas looks like a better bet for the serious hobbyist. 9L bottles filled to 137 bar, and no rental. You pay up front for the bottle, which is about 50 quid I think. There's an agent near me too. If I can persuade them to fill up the Energas bottle, even better!

13. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Getting a refill by someone else ain't gonna happen.
    The other option if you're only doing light stuff is some c02 from your local friendly landlord. Refill on those is about 15

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thought as much... Adams gas it is then. Energas can come and get their bottle when it's empty, if they want it. Probably last me most of this year though!