Boxing Day Motorway Wipeout... R.I.P. J628 KBD

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by sinisterdexter, Jan 14, 2008.

1. sinisterdexter Forum Member

My mk2 16v, killed on Boxing Day evening on the way up to my girl's place in Lockerbie. Happened on the A74(M) on a dual carriageway section by the Carlisle (N) junction, I was in the left-hand lane observing the strict 50mph speed limit when I has hit on the rear/offside by an artic who decided he needed to change lanes - and hadn't noticed I was there. My car was clipped and forced into a clockwise spin around the front of the artic and then to its other side. At this point I'm in the offside lane facing oncoming traffic, careering backwards at 50mph, waiting for something to happen. I ended up embedded in the central reservation after 5 or 6 horrible bangs and knew things weren't going to be great...

Before...

[​IMG]

After...

Front end more or less fine...

[​IMG]

Offside damage from the artic...

[​IMG]

Something missing here...

[​IMG]

Not a good look...

[​IMG]

Definitely a write-off...

[​IMG]

Respect to German engineering, all doors including the hatch still open and close and I'm in one piece.

Gutted though.

Dex [xx(]

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

:( did the truck stop and take responsibility?

mega-shame as it looked like a tidy motor

hope it hasn't put you off driving

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

jeez...the driving standards were awful that day....i had a near miss whena clio spun into central reservation whilst i was passing on other carriageway in fast lane at 80....bent barrier almost into out path and showered us with debris. Then we almost got rear ended fiev mins later.

4. GTI-Jay Forum Member

Sorry to hear the death of a mk 2

sorry to hear the death of another mk 2. glad your alright fella:)

are you planing on a rebliud? or scraping her.?

5. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Whys everyone destroying mk2s at the moment??! These threads are popping up every other day it seems! Shame mate, unlucky.

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

That sucks. Yet another trashed MK2. What a bloody shame :(

7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

so many accidents on that stretch of dual carriage way, dont really know why.

8. Collie Forum Junkie

9. Jonny777 Forum Member

I really am crying looking through the ooops section atm!

So many Mk2's getting written off by other peoples idiocy. :(

10. Dicky Retardo Forum Member

hey theres not like theres a shortage of them!:lol:

11. sinisterdexter Forum Member

Good question. Yes the trucker did stop, basically to make sure I wasn't a corpse. I had to go down the carriageway about 150m where he had pulled over to meet the guy and ask him WTF he thought he was doing. He asked me if I was ok and I said I didn't know (apart from my right shoulder which had taken a whack), at which point I said I needed to go back to the car to see how much damage there was. Got to the car, turned round and the toe-rag had fecked off. There goes my 200 excess...

Hasn't put me off driving though, just made me even more aware of idiots who don't look where they're going. Needed to get mobile ASAP and ended up picking this tank up locally for 940 off the bay...

[​IMG]

Not a dub but there's sod all choice of cars around Xmas. Will be offered my valver back at some point, not sure what I'll do with it, maybe go for some Jetta sickness ;)

Cheers, Dex

12. cocobay63 Forum Member

Ouch man ! i hope the Purple Metro in the photos is not what your driving id prefer to walk, bad luck matey

13. AndrewF Forum Addict

you think this is bad you wanna check out the mr2 forums, second things get cold and slippy everyone statrs spinning like tops into cars/lamposts/trees/etc

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Awful - sorry to see such a good Mk2 in that state.

Trucker a) hit you and b) f*cked off. C*nt.

15. AndrewF Forum Addict

did you not get his reg? did the police attend? surely they'd have been straight onto the cctv operators?

16. sinisterdexter Forum Member

I was fool enough to assume the guy had the decency to stop around to give details. The police turned up (sadly not the band, just a bloke in a white car with a flashing light), confirmed my account of events with the damage caused and sent a couple of patrols to search the north-bound services for any white artics with obvious recent damage. They seemed pretty intent on finding the guy as the had left the scene but said the chances were pretty slim.

MAJOR MAJOR recommendation by the way guys, the officer attending said Green Flag recovery services are the only company that will recover accident damaged vehicles. RAC and AA will NOT touch them as I found out. I'm with the AA (not for much longer!) and they wanted 105+VAT to cover the cost of recovering to a local garage. Luckily the officer was very helpful and managed to arrange free recovery to Gretna services as I was just inside a cone section.

Dex

17. richellis Forum Member

If you get berakdown with your insurance they will recover you.
    Sorry bout the mk2 loss

There is a shorage of clean, original mk2 gtis by me!
    Cus im lookin......

18. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Gutted for you.

19. sinisterdexter Forum Member

Cheers fellas. Just waiting to see what the insurance company coughs up then it's time to start hunting for another decent mk2. Last one took ages to find and I doubt the next one will be any easier.

Anybody know anything about Mercs by the way? Picked up a '95 C220 oil burner off eBay, all seems to work ok but I know nothing about Mercs as I've stuck with dubs for the last 15 years...

Dex :)

20. nealey Forum Junkie

Thats some whack, cant believe they drove off as well