brake noise 98 vr jetta, new post help please

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by rankadoodle, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Benjo Forum Member

Unfortunately, hoses are one of those extra-annoying things to diagnose when they do the one-way valve trick. Only way to find out for sure is to take it off.
    Have you checked to see if it's 'ballooning' under pressure?

2. rankadoodle Forum Member

FINALLY after months and a warped rotor later SILENCE!!! No more pull left either :thumbup:

Caliper change was great. The rebuilt one had a different size rubber grommets for slide pins [:s] but I just used my old ones because they were good. Caliper was a little loose with the grommets that came on it, but went on snug and sound with old grommets. I noticed it when the caps that go behind the bushings (behind pins) wouldn't fit. Thought I had wrong caliper for a moment but figured it out, it's exactly the same as old (except working) Weird, but that was the only tricky part. Bleeding was no problem and went well, fluid go one way through hose, fluid go other way through hose, partner confirmed does not balloon HOSE GOOD! With pedal firm and pads seated, the test drive went great!

I get keep me jetta!! [:D] ty!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  3. rankadoodle Forum Member

So having a minor issue not a big deal, even if my theory is true I'm not 100%. Going to spell it out see what you think..

After replacing the front left caliper with the rebuilt one, I mentioned that the rubber bushing in said caliper was not a good fit to my current slide pins. I re used the ones on the old caliper because they felt fine and had a more snug fit. Even with the old bushings pushed into the new caliper had a tad more play than the passenger side. So question. The caliper was a rebuilt one from europarts direct, I've bought many a thing for my benz from them before and never had a problem. Could I have possibly gotten a wrong, or off brand caliper than is not the right size? Don't they test this stuff? Can't be, because it measured up and looked exactly like my old one.

Reason I am concerned is this: When going over hard bumps on the left I can hear a shaking sound. It is not present when I am braking, going the same speed, over the same bumps again, I have tested that bit out. I think it's the caliper in there shaking and I'm pretty worried out it. I've been under her and have checked nearly everything other than like battery mount etc. Tie rods, arms, rack, everything is snug. It's got to be that caliper.

Also a squeak when turning left, probably that inside pad is still crystallized and rubbing the inside rotor a little from lateral g. It's not the same kind of squeak as before, strange, not near as annoying as constantly.

At least it's not ceased and with ginger driving it's been doing fine. Brakes even, no issues other wise. Granny made me use them a few times has been fine.. Should I be concerned with this or not? It's got about 600 miles on it now. It it would have failed would it have by now?

If it's not the caliper, and other said things, whats a good run down to check to see snug that could make such a sound you can hear it with radio on-window open. I've looked everything over. Time for engine mounts? 82k on car and engine.

Thanks for reading.

4. rankadoodle Forum Member

Ok, shaking sound gone. [:s]

Caliper could possible be re-seized, it's squeaking again. Tomorrow will pull the wheel and caliper to put anti-squeak compound on the back of the pads because I have not yet. Replacing the brake lines up front if the compound does not fix it. Which lines should I replace if I must, the ones going to the calipers only?

Weird because it'd not ballooning and fluid seemed to go both ways pretty darn well....

If it IS the brake line, how can a new caliper silence it for a month to have it return all of a sudden? Pretty sure it can't Will report more tomorrow...

edit: So the anti squeak compound did nothing to silence it. It's had new/rebuilt everything now to include bearings. Beginning to think there is nothing wrong and I'm wasting my money. Everything is prestige, as it should be.

I did take a look at the control arm bushings and they seem a bit worn, but, not unusual or falling apart/missing. Things like this will be solved when I do a 100k overhaul (82k orig [:D] ) Depending on how big it is I will make a build thread.

Until then, one last thanks!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  5. rankadoodle Forum Member

Bent AND unbalanced rim.

Source of all problems.

New steelies on it and ALL is fixed. The excess vibration is what was causing all symptoms.

This is the man with a gti I guess. [:x]

6. Benjo Forum Member

bloody typical. Condolances for the money lost, & well done for finally nailing it. :thumbup:

7. rankadoodle Forum Member

Not really feeling bad about the money, thanks to you and many others I gained a WEALTH of information about brakes and axles that I would not have bothered myself to learn otherwise. Taught me allot and let me get my hands dirty. Changing something on a mk3 monthly is what having one is all about.

Now I know for a fact everything up front, is new and perfect working order. The biggest annoyance, wasn't just the sound, but the fear of something happening during driving. Now I can sleep well and feel good when I drive her.

:thumbup: to all :clap: