brass insert for connecting rubber fuel hose to K-Jet pipe

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by steve r, Mar 13, 2012.

1. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I need to connect some rubber fuel hose to the plastic K-Jet fuel hose on my car.

I remember from years and years ago when Richgit had issues with his 20vt conversion he found that the rubber fuel hose was jubilee clipped onto the hose with no insert which prevented a decent seal being made and/or allowed the pipe to crush slightly. I'm sure it was discussed on here that a brass insert should be fitted into the plastic hose and then proper fuel line clips be used.

Does anyone else remember this or have a part number for the inserts?

Cheers

Steve

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

The end of the K-jet line has a metric fitting, I bought 2 metric barbed fittings from Thinkautomotive that screwed onto the K-jet line and left a barbed fitting available for normal fuel hose.

You don`t want to hose clamp anything to the K-jet lines as they`re not designed for it.

When I re-do my fuel lines I`ll be going with stainless braided teflon with the correct end fittings from Torques on ebay, worth the initial outlay imho.

3. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I've got the fittings from think auto on the end of the lines in the engine bay, are the same fittings on the end at the pump? I'm replacing the k-jet pump etc with a mk3 tank & pump.

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Scorian got some but the pics are coming up as red X's for me. Probably worth a PM

5. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Thanks,

PM sent, he's not been online since Jan.

From NigeP's thread, this i what i think i'll end up with when i remove the K-Jet pump assembly

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Sorry got the wrong end of the stick!, would it not be easier just to run a new feed and return line from the new in-tank mk3 pump?.

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

First thing I thought was these from a plumbers merchant

Hep2o inserts

8. steve r

steve r Forum Member

could be, but guess it will be expensive?
    I have most of the black line with the filter module connected in it but none of the blue from the Mk3. Was hoping to run some rubber fuel line from the current blue line up to the pump.

Thats the type of thing I remember being discussed on here previously

9. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

I picked them up from my local pirtek.

Every Pirtek should have them.

10. jamiehol Forum Member

There is a company selling plastic fuel hose on eBay comes with two brass fittings and is about 8 for 3 meters, may be worth asking if they sell the inserts separately.

11. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I picked up some of the brass inserts from Pirtek today. Part number 877-0006 36p each

[​IMG]

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

digifant mk2 fuel lines have them iirc, mk3 ones probably do too?

what you could do is cut the rubber/plastic off the ends of the pump lines and you are left with barbed fittings with threaded ends. dont cut the line side, rather the side that connects to them so the 2 lines that used to go to your metering head, plus the lines that go from the palstic lines to your pump. then push your rubbers over the barbed fittings and secure with proper fuel line clips

like this, cut at the red line:
    [​IMG]

13. steve r

steve r Forum Member

For the engine bay I had Think Auto make up some hoses with a threaded end to screw onto the original Mk2 K-Jet line.

[​IMG]

these inserts are for the other end of the lines where they meet the filter and new braided tank return.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  14. danster Forum Addict

This was my take on the subject, Recycling FTW!

I had to modify lines recently as they were the wrong shape and length because the K Jet shizzle had been removed during a conversion. I had heard of using a hot air gun to reshape them but found it was a little uncontrollable and did not work that well. So I carefully cut down the length of the pipes at each end and removed the brass insert that stops the hoses collapsing when the clips are tightened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the inserts removed and the pipes cut to the correct size I then put the ends of the plastic pipes in some boiling water which softened the pipe enough to push the inserts back in. I found placing the insert on a block of wood then carefully pushing the plastic pipe over them was best. You have to be careful not to let the plastic pipe kink whilst doing this. Support it well and push straight down and it slides in well.
    The pipes are now all cut and ready for joining.

[​IMG]

15. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

pirtec/hose doctor have the incerts also you can then use brass coppression fittings to join lines together or to join to flexys.