Broken lock on drivers side door

Discussion in 'Security' started by Mk2GolfBoy, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

The locking pin goes up and down but however hard I try the door handle will not open the door! I thought the best solution was to take the door card off and see what needs doing but I'm not sure how to do this... any help? :lol:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Can you open the door from the inside? All you need to do is remove the door handle and check the mechanism. If you can't open the door this is not possible, but then you would have a job getting the door card off with the door closed too!

To remove the door handle you need to pull off the door handle trim, remove the screw under it and another one from inside the door level with the door handle. Once you have the handle off you can see the trigger which should move down when you squeeze the handle. Check the movement of the trigger and give it a good grease and place to one side.

Inside the door you should see the plate the trigger pushes down on, if you press this down with your finger the door should open, if so grease it up, test fit the door handle. If it works, screw it all back together and you're done!

If this doesn't work then you will have to take the door card off, remove the inner plastic cover and check the whole door mechanism then try to work out what's up with it. While you're there you might as well give the door a good clean and replace the old door membrane with some new plastic sheeting from BnQ.

I had the exact same thing on one of my rear doors, all I had to do was give it a good grease and it was sorted!

3. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

well here's my shoddy description of the problem. I think it started when I pulled the handle to open the door and the shroud black plastic surround bit came away from the door panel and was lifted up I had to do a bit of giggery pokery to get it to sit flush again and it did, door was ok to unlock and open, the time after that even when i unlocked the door and pulled on the handle the door wouldn't open it seemed like the handle mechanism you pull on was not connecting with the revelvent part [:s]

4. rubjonny

Possibly the door handle trigger is stuck underneath the plate in the door?

Just take your door handle off and have a look, its a 5 second job and theres no little bits that will fall out/off (apart from the washers on the screws)

5. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

i just had a another check and the handle is stuck inwards not outwards avaliable to be pulled to open the door, sorry i keep giving more info but its just so everyone can have a better guess at the problem.

6. rubjonny

I have no idea what you're talking about mate :) Can you take a pic of the problem? Are you talking about the inside or outside handle?
    Edited by: rubjonny

7. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

quick update managed to get into the car thro the boot (car was parked up to the wall a.k.a no passenger side access) and i can open the door from the inside. the handle has popped back out instead of being stuck in but id rather get it fixed and i now got a leak as water is dripping onto the driver seat ARGHHH [:x]

8. rubjonny

Right! Take the outside door handle off as I suggested and check the mechanism, its simple as you like so its pretty easy to work out whats up with it!

9. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

how exactly would i take the handle off lol sorry im new to this! just pull it away from the door or what lol ! :lol: [:s]

10. rubjonny

Prise off the plastic trim from the handle, there is a screw under this, remove. There is also another screw on the inside above the lock in line with the door handle, remove. Make sure you don't loose the washers.

Now the handle should come away from the door!

11. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

ahhh thanks ! ill give that a try and see how i get on, what would I be exactly looking for? just bars and levers not connected?

12. rubjonny

Yes basically inside the door there should be 2 metal leavers, one is for locking/unlocking the door and the other is to open the door. The one closest to the rear of the door is the door open mechanism, you should be able to press this with your finger to open the door.

On the handle itself you should see a single pronged trigger and a double pronged trigger, the double pronged trigger is for locking/unlocking the door and the single is to open the door.

When you turn the key the double pronged trigger should rotate, and when you pull the trigger the single prong should move up/down.

13. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

wow super rubjonny lock master ! hope thats not from being naughty with cars and locks lol ;) joke i know ure a good guy thanks so much for ure help man! :lol:

14. rubjonny

Its all come from experience, one of me rear door handles didn't work and some b'tard knackered me driver side door lock trying to break in so I had to swap the passenger lock into the driver side :)