Build date from the VIN?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Tristan, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Can you find out your mk2's build date from the chassis number? It's very relevant here in Ireland as we get cheap tax when a car reaches 30 yr old.

2. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Luck you...it's 40 years in the UK.

3. Tristan

Yea but it's bloody expensive up to that point!

4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

And that's for sure - I will most likely declare my Mk2 off the road until after May 2021 from January 2020. It's unfortunate but no point in paying those thieving tossers while it's in my shed for 49 weeks of the year. I think you can get a date from the VIN (RJ will advise I'm sure) but not being smart is there not a registration date with paperwork? (tax book, V5 etc.)

I'm pretty sure Tristan, the wonderful Revenue will always go by the date of registration and won't budge from that unless the vehicle has no documentation whatsoever and if that's the case it may turn into a Revenue equivalent of a colonoscopy..

If you or anyone you know is bringing in a car from the UK or anywhere and it has not reached the magic 30 years please go back to my old thread about how you calculate Co2 emissions from official MPG figures. It won't stop the VRT but it may well kick it back 1 to 2 bands and take some of the sting out of it.

When I hit them with my official facts and figures and said I was appealing to the TAC - there was a distinct feeling that the penny dropped and I was actually given an e-mail address, name and phone number and agreement that they owed me money - definitely not normal behaviour for that mob.

5. Tristan

Interesting stuff alright.

Re the dates, I assumed that it was registration date, but some friends insist it's build date, which makes no sense to me tbh.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

7. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm 99.9% certain that it's date of registration or no deal or as RJ mentioned above you're going to have to go into the VW vaults and even then it may be a struggle to get them to accept it.
    I've also heard of the old "tax-book swopperoo" but I couldn't possibly condone that sort of thing when dealing with government departments....

Tristan likes this.