'Building an ebay car'

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by jshep73, Jan 7, 2016.

1. jshep73 Forum Member

I'm just at work and I've got Ebay on the PC looking at some new fog lights for the Mk2...

One of the drivers sees this and says "dont buy car parts off ebay, it's all **** on there"... I then don't reply because I knew it would be like talking to a brick wall and he says "I didn't know you were building an ebay car"

This actually annoyed me and I then explained to him that there are lots of genuine parts on ebay and at good prices but I could tell he wasn't interested or didn't care etc...

I'm not bothered what he thinks of my car but it really got my goat this morning [:x] It made me think of youngsters that build Halfords cars!! And my car really isn't an ebay car with cheap parts on!!

Anyway, I'll crack on with some work now...

2. sava001006 Forum Member

I find myself on ebay a lot as there is a huge choice of parts genuine/good quality. Yes you do have to be careful on some bits and there is some crap. But I use ebay as a check price if im looking at something from a online shop make sure its a good price. I would say 50% the cars ive built/restored are made from parts off ebay.

3. jshep73 Forum Member

Ebay is tainted for sure due to some trully awesome parts on there, not just from China either....

4. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

E bay is the best :thumbup: but tell no one [:@)]

I spend the heap on it ....and then hide it from wife ...bits posted to workshop etc
    and when I'm not buying for myself I am finding things for mate's so they can get beat by their wives [:D][!]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  5. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

eBay is just handy for almost everything in the world !!! I've bought a ton on it and over 800 feedback I guess as a buyer. But I also buy from lots of other sources like car parts for less and euro and my local factor. But like anything you've got to be careful and not buy crap. Do your research and buy quality parts as cheap **** won't last !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Actually I love eBay [emoji106]

7. Craigcorson

Craigcorson Forum Member

Its funny you mention youngsters and ebay because my mate said exactly the same thing about 2 weeks ago. The lad in the unit across from him is modifying his 4 door fiesta and wanted wind deflectors. He had looked everywhere and found a website selling them for 40. Team Heko do them on ebay for 16 for just about any car. Any ebay minded person would have looked there first but it seems that younger people just want to look on facebook and halfords for these things.

My car has the following all bought on ebay!
    Bilstein B4 shocks, eibach springs, wheels, carb inlet manifold, carbs, filter king, loom, exhaust manifold and the car itself! BOUGHT COMPLETELY UNSEEN!

8. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Where I buy depends on price and availability. It doesn't always work out, but I'm glad I bought a tool on there recently instead of buying it direct as having the send for refund button got things moving after a polite email got nowt.

9. Adey Forum Member

Most of my Track Car came off eBay

10. blis Forum Member

You've got it a lot better in EU. Sourcing german parts from .de, ten dealingwith language and shipping is a mighty big ask.

I would not have started the ABF if not for ebay, but I always buy VW Heritage first because of delivery.

11. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

ebay, more positive than negative, by a long way.
    been on some epic parts/car collection journeys...............or 'road trips' as the younger ones call it
    Jon

12. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

eBay is to blame for me having to many Golfs !
    My cup car and four others and then two from here [:s]
    Plenty of good second hand stuff and new but always check prices as some rare stuff is still available from the dealers cheaper !

13. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Yup mk2 bonnet catch at eBay 3.95 or 75p at dealers. Lots of mk2 bits still available at dealers.

14. Craigcorson

Craigcorson Forum Member

my nearest dealer is 25 miles away so i'm happy to pay a bit more for it to come to my door

15. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Hopefully more people don't like eBay so the prices are better for the rest of us lol

Just be careful as with any second hand parts and you'll be fine.

16. jshep73 Forum Member

As I thought... Ebay is a good place to buy cheap genuine parts. But there is some ****e on there! And that is not eBays fault!!!

It just wound me up when someone who doesn't know disses the whole of eBay. I guess he bought something cheap from there and now thinks the whole website is crap. Even though it probaly said non standard aftermarket part etc

17. Adey Forum Member

There's still bargains to be had

18. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

i just bought a set of corrado speed lines powder coated in anthracite with good tyres for 60 off ebay result but FB is now very good for buying just bought a H reg solid mk2 golf 1.2 Ryder 200 result now im addicted to buying off the internet :(

19. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Yup I needed a 5x100 space saver wheel as I've gone 5 stud wife track. People wanting a fortune for them but 1 add was 10 starting bid and no restrictions to Inverness on postage. Only bidder so all in 20 and still got the moulding prickles on so never been used. Bonus!!!

20. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

We should change this thread to what you got for a steal lol