Buying a MK3 Golf 16V

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by nickh89GTi, Mar 5, 2009.

1. nickh89GTi Forum Member

No it was a light blue one which had a full respray and blue flake put in the paint work. Still see the dragon green golf driving around and afaik its still the same lad who owns it, he's had it a few years now.

2. rupe Forum Member

ahh ok cool, I don't remember seeing a blue one, will have to look out for another blue one now [8D]

3. t'mill Forum Member

That's exactly how I felt going from my mk2 8v GTI to the Mk3 valver. I'm getting used to the difference in power delivery SLOWLY but I still maintain my Mk2 was a quicker point to point town/city car. And probably not that much slower outright to a 100.

I had a stab at a Mk4 GTI turbo a few months back in my Mk2 from 20mph - 90mph and it couldn't pull any lengths on me. Aaaah, rest in peace my ickle 8v :lol:

4. azur Forum Member

My bro always used to say when he got into mine that his MK2 8v felt quicker than my MK3 16v, as there is more of a low down "kick" which feels faster than my top end kick and there is also probably more road noise/vibration/road feel in the older cars which make them feel faster

When it came down to it though, mine would easily peel away from him once i had hit peak torque at 5000 rpm in 2nd, so 50+mph, and would reach 100 comfortably before him.

Thing thats annoying about the Mk3 16v is the gearing, as on twisty A/B roads you are going too fast for 2nd gear, but not fast enough to fall into peak torque in 3rd so your left between 4000-5000 rpm and can't really utilise all the top end power as in 3rd gear you would have to be doing 80mph +

Hopefully when i get high torque cams i will have more midrange grunt, as i can't be bothered to lower the gearing because it is perfect for motorway cruising.

gearing isn't really much of an issue on 8v's due to the nature of their power delivery.

Much prefer my bros car going round corners though[:$]

Koni's and eibachs on tomorrow thou so maybe i can change that.. whoop.[:D]

Hope you enjoy you new car anyway... they are easy to fall in love with even though they can be a lump of ****e sometimes! mines self healing so if there is a problem (usually with the electrics) she will sort her self out in a week or too!:thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  5. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

The MK2 8V is probably quicker off the mark due to having a nice wee light 210mm flywheel whereas the MK3 16V has a nice island sized 228mm flywheel.

My mates MK3 8V is slightly quicker off the mark than my MK3 16V with a HotGolf lightened fly but by 'eck as soon as I get moving he dissapears.

6. stevegtx Forum Member

ive a nov 96 but mine has 280mm brakes(untill next week when the 288s go on lol)

7. t'mill Forum Member

AZUR - Hopefully when i get high torque cams i will have more midrange grunt, as i can't be bothered to lower the gearing because it is perfect for motorway cruising.

Let us know how the cams fair when you put them in. I'd love some decent torque in mine to complement the decent top end grunt.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i want a mk5 2.0 turbo lump in mine when my abf eventually goes pop

9. t'mill Forum Member

That'll have sufficient torque! But then I doubt yours is ever going to go pop :lol:

10. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Does the TFSI engine drop in then or is it a case of welding mounts to the chassis legs?