Cable change

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by daniboy1_2_3, Dec 30, 2012.

1. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Hi there, i wondered if anyone could recommend a shifter tower for my mk1 golf which will be getting a CTN gearbox fitted when i find one. Something that sits right and doesnt involve much modification to fit. Any pictures would help greatly or a link to a build thread with this part of the build in it. Im not sure where is best to run the cables either if anyone has any thoughts on this, thanks.

2. murph81 Forum Member

I heard Polo 9n are supposed to be fairly tidy.

3. Admin Guest

a late spec 02J would be best as they are much slimmer than the earlier types and 02A

ive run mine under the car, others have run them in the car and made holes in the bulkhead to run the cables through.

4. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Sounds like what I need, how have you protected them from the exhaust running them under the car?

5. Admin Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shouldn't foul the exhaust, will find out at the weekend for sure.

6. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

Do you know how deep the box is into the tunnel?

I'm interested in doing this too, but have a GrpA exhaust [:-B]

7. Admin Guest

will measure it tomorrow for you.

but you can see its above the hanger/rubber.

so unless it a massive diameter exhaust, it shouldn't be to much of a problem with clearance

8. big nick Forum Member

did you know its possible to use 02A in a Mk1 with a rod linkage? and your own shifter tower? no need to cut any holes or detract from the originality of the car...

look at this link for details.. http://www.clausvonessen.de/pi38/pd648.html

9. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

There's kits on German eBay, been around for years.

10. Admin Guest

Sticks down 2 inches

11. Admin Guest

I only needed to trim a couple of mm off each end of the shifter (metal that wasn't needed really) to make it fit into the original hole.

12. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

:thumbup: lol

13. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

For me the whole point of using the cable change was to go hydraulic to improve the feel of the gearchange.

14. tidymike New Member

I'm thinking of something similar in my G60 9A mk1 conversion as I don't think my 020 gearbox is going to be a good long term bet.

What's the view on the cable change conversion vs the 02A rod change kit solution? Does the cable change give a much more positive gearchange or is it just a case of them being readily available, cheaper(?) and no more difficult to fit?

thanks in advance

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The 02a isn't that bad if you can get a tower in good condition and change bushes in the shifter. Although 02j is better. They are cheap enough too.
    I have a shifter and cables here if interested.

16. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Can an O2J tower be used with an O2A gearbox then? Would this be the best combination? Where would i start looking for an O2J shifter tower then? And then will there be any compatability issues with the selector on the gearbox?

17. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Don't quote me but i think you need to change the tower on the gearbox to convert 02a - 02J shifter

18. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Ok thanks for all the information. Can anyone give any part numbers or tell me exactly what year and model of car i can get an 02J shifter tower and 02J gearbox selector that will work with an O2A code gearbox? Thanks.

19. Admin Guest

search for it on the forum, transmission section would be the place to start, there are a few threads with guides/links to the information you need.

20. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Ive tried searching but i cant be doing it right as it comes back with no results when i type in O2J. Do you have an O2J fitted in a mk1 jon? If so do you know what car it came from? What gearbox and box tower are you using? thanks.