Calling all mk2 Golf 2.0 conversion owners. cam info neded

Discussion in '8-valve' started by paultownsend, Sep 17, 2008.

1. paultownsend Forum Member

Hi chaps. iv a reasonable spec engine-

2.0 agg block
    flowed manifolds
    newman 268
    big valve head 40/35

i had the cam before i started the conversion, so i went for a tame one.
    now i love the low down power of the engine as it stands, it revs freely to the red, and it idles perfectly.
    so its the usual question. i want to make the most of the head, as im sure the bigger vales can be working better. but i want to keep the characteristics of this power delivery. i dont want to loose low down delivery.

so what are your experienced options?
    iv looked at the tsr 202' schrick 268/272, but will i really notice that much difference?
    will a newman/schrick 272 loose that little low end grunt and drivability? (thats why i have an 8v not 16)

your help will be much appreciated. as im bloody skint!

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Gaining power at the top end invairably comes with a loss at the low end of the power band... how much of that are you prepaired to trade ?

I'd say a 272 wont make that much of a noticable gain over what you have, though forgeting the duration, it does have more favourable lift.

I would be looking at around 276 duration with 440-450 tho lift to perk it up over what you have to notice a real difference. It should still have good road manners with enough low down power on that duration.

My friends 2.0ltr MK2 on K-jet has more than enough low end power with a 284 duration cam. The idle is old school rumpa-rumpa, but as soon as you touch the throttle it smooth's out and pulls rather well, and with enough mid to top end grunt to pull past a hard accelerating Astra GSi 16v.

Skint and tuning cars dont go well together though, usually that why we're skint !:(

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Mr H i wish you wouldquote lift in mm not thou' we went metric along time ago!

As above no point goin to a 272 IMO.

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

:lol: .. sorry, a bit old school !

11.2 - 11.5mm is around 440-450 tho lift.

The cam I used in the project 8v head is 470 tho, or 11.9mm lift, but you run into valve spring clearance issues at that level (ask me how I know!).

I would say a 268 is more for a standard type engine with very few mods (no head work), with 272 more the first basic road cam for use in a modded head. Though more cam can be used, it takes more work to get the results, spring changes/spring seat machining etc.